Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Hot weather fishing...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hot weather fishing...

What is the best way to crappie fish in the very hot weather we have coming up over the next few weeks?What have you figured out works best for you in the blistering heat?

Post Thanks / Like

Bust them early. by noon they shut off. and dont be afraid to use a dead minnow.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Daylight until about 10AM. Hit 'em again another day. The heat will take all the fun out of fishing if you try fishing longer. I like longlining jigs.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, welcome to the site! This was one of the reasons I joined the Slabmasters last year. I've never been very successful on the post spawn bite, but I also haven't spent a ton of time doing it. After last summer and well into this one, I've found that watching weather seems to play a bigger part in the success. Sunshine and clouds are my biggest determining factors in where I start.

Now that the thermocline is setting up on most deeper bodies of water, you can and will find fish anywhere from 1-18' FOW. I went out last night for the last few hours of daylight and only targeted fish in less than 12'. Most came from 4-8' down.

Other than being uncomfortable for the fisherman, don't think the fish aren't going to eat. At our tournament at the Cat last year. We ended up catching the big fish of the event, and it came a little after 1 in the afternoon. Our second biggest fish came at 2:45. Just some food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie most certainly continue to feed through out the hot days of summer. What makes the bigger fish so hard to find right now is the fact there is so much food in the water for them to eat.
    The shad are now 3/4" to 1 1/2" in size so they are hard to fool.
    You will however catch the heck outta the 9 to 10" fish. Like Fillet said anywhere from 1-18' and you will find them suspended chasing shad.
    Try your luck long line trolling pulling jigs and you will find fish.
    Tom Hankins
    Lake Fork Trophy Lures
    Whisker Seeker Tackle
    Moss Back Fish Rack
    Cumberland Crappie
    G3 Boats

Post Thanks / Like

Another good way is to wind drift for them. If the wind is strong use a windsock to slow the boat down. Through the years I have found over channels to be good even if the channel is 30-40-50 feet deep. I like to use jigs, RRs or even live bait with enough weight to get it to where the fish are. I usually put out three rods at different depths till I find them.

Post Thanks / Like

i fished today all the pigs are in the mud
    J.I.L. <*)}}}><