Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig head questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jig head questions

I have a few questions on how to choose jig heads:

- How do you determine what color jig head to use?
    - How many different size jig heads do you carry?
    - How many different style jig heads do you carry with you?
    - How many different color heads do you carry?

Post Thanks / Like

I like to keep it as simple as possible because:

1) too many choices get confusing and

2) I just don't think it matters that much.

The most important things are depth and speed. Everything else is just window dressing.

That being said, I typically use a plain, ball head 1/32 oz marabou jig for crappie, usually with a red or pink head.

For bluegill, I usually go with the little 1/64 oz trout magnet heads.

With those two options, I think I could catch fish anywhere in the country.

litewirehooker is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

How do you determine what color jig head to use? I like the bright colors or contrast to Jig
    - How many different size jig heads do you carry? My favorites are 1/16 and back up is 3/32.
    - How many different style jig heads do you carry with you? Round
    - How many different color heads do you carry? Chartruse, Blaze Orange, Pink, Red, White, and Black
    That being said.......I always fish with "Litewirehooks" #2
    http://litewirehooks.com/
    [email protected]
    Every day you do not fish will be one day less you have to fish

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lightwirehooker View Post
    How do you determine what color jig head to use? I like the bright colors or contrast to Jig
    - How many different size jig heads do you carry? My favorites are 1/16 and back up is 3/32.
    - How many different style jig heads do you carry with you? Round
    - How many different color heads do you carry? Chartruse, Blaze Orange, Pink, Red, White, and Black
    That being said.......I always fish with "Litewirehooks" #2
    Why a #2 Hook? The heads I fish come in:
    - #4 Double Lite wire bronze hook
    - #8 Gold Hook
    - #6 Gold Hook
    - #4 Gold Hook

Which one should I choose for like a 2" or 3" Grub?

Post Thanks / Like

How do you determine what color jig head to use? I always start with an unpainted jig head. On most days, the color of the head doesn't matter in my opinion. If the fish are finicky and the bite is lite or not happening, I will start trying colored heads and I start with what I like and have confidence in. For me, chartruese or red usually do it, but I paint my own heads so I have about 20 different colors when I'm on the water.

- How many different size jig heads do you carry? I like fishing with either a 1/32 ounce or a 1/16 ounce jig. Most of my jig fishing is done in 10 feet of water or less so the heavier jig heads don't help that much in shallower water. I like a slow fall to my jig when I pitch it in around cover. I do have 1/8 ounce and 1/4 ounce heads in my arsenal with tubes to fit them, but I don't go to them normally unless I'm on a deeper body of water that would have me using jigs over 10 feet in depth.

- How many different style jig heads do you carry with you? I have 2 styles. Minnow heads and round heads. The 1/8 and 1/4 ounce jig heads are in the round style because that is the way I bought them. The heads I pour myself are all minnow style.

- How many different color heads do you carry? Probably 20 because I paint my own and mix my own colors. I could get by with unpainted, chartruese and red.

As far as hook size, I use #2 and #4 hooks in my jigs that I pour. I put some #4 hooks even on my 1/16 ounce jigs. I like a smaller hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Are these ok: Ball/Round Heads 10 count

Or should I use these light wire heads? Head / Double Lite Hook

Post Thanks / Like

I use 1/32nd to 1/8th plain round ball heads 100% of the time. I fish the lightest jig I can get away with, depending on the depth I'm fishing, and the wind. I'm not convinced a painted head gives you any advantage over plain heads. I feel your bait and presentation is the key to putting fish in the boat.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'm fishing a Lake that typically fishes pretty deep for most of the fish in it (Largemouth, perch, musky) and has CRYSTAL clear water with several shallower coves. I'm just looking for 1 or 2 size jig heads that will let me fish deep (10-12) and Shallow (5-8), the coves are typically from 5-8 feet deep, and the main reservoir is deeper. But I need the head to kind of be snag resistant, there are all kinds of downed trees, underwayer beaver huts, standing timber, and stumps to snag on, I tried the Spider sllider heads there, but ended braking off 4. These are the size heads to choose from: 1/64, 1/32, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, and I have these colored heads to choose from: Black, red, Chartreuse, Orange, White, and Pink. What should I choose for just swimming some little 3" grubs around all this structure?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappieandbassman123 View Post
    I'm just looking for 1 or 2 size jig heads that will let me fish deep (10-12) and Shallow (5-8) ...
    I don't consider 12' to be deep. I wouldn't go heavier than 1/32 oz. Last weekend, I was catching lots of bluegill 10' deep on a 1/64 oz head.

Quote Originally Posted by crappieandbassman123 View Post
    I need the head to kind of be snag resistant, there are all kinds of downed trees, underwayer beaver huts, standing timber, and stumps to snag on, I tried the Spider sllider heads there, but ended braking off 4.
    The spider sliders are about as snag resistant as they come, since they're T-rigged. How did you break them off?

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=crappieandbassman123;1957749]I have a few questions on how to choose jig heads:
    QUOTE]

- How do you determine what color jig head to use? all unpainted
    - How many different size jig heads do you carry? 2 weights 1/8 and if over 25' deep 1/4
    - How many different style jig heads do you carry with you? round ball head in 1/8 and bullet in 1/4 to use inside tube baits.
    - How many different color heads do you carry? one / unpainted
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast