Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: questions about dock fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions about dock fishing

I have a couple of questions about fishing around docks-Do you use jigs or minnows or both? Do you ever use a minnow and cork? Do you just pull up around a dock and fish or get permission first? Thanks for the help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hmmmm

First as long as you don't actually leave your boat and step onto the dock then you do not need permission to fish a dock. Nobody owns the water. There is an exception though if it is actually posted off-limits with a Coast Guard buoy.
    Here in Ohio I fish docks all of the time with an ice bobber since our docks are usually in shallow water. It is a common practice here. Usually I use Southern Pro or Renegade solid body tubes on 1/48 or 1/64 oz. heads I make myself. The color depends on the clarity of the water.
    Minnows come into play after a major cold front or if fishing pressure is heavy.
    I have found out here that wood docks will hold fish during and after spawn.
    The best docks early are the metal ones with "boat lifts" next to them. The females rub their bellies to loosen the eggs and prefer smooth metal over wood in the pre-spawn.
    Look for docks close to deeper water and fish them good. Cover the outside posts first then work your way back. The docks with clearance to get your jig back as far as possible are also key. Sometimes I have to shoot the jig with or without a bobber. Gold Stren is a must when shooting docks without a bobber, shoot it under and watch the line jump. When it does set the hook.
    Docks are a great way to catch crappie. My best advice is to spend time on the water and let the fish tell you what and how they want the bait.
    cold fronts.... minnows. No cold fronts..... tubes. Works for me!!!
    Crouch & Hengstler Team Vicious, Southern Pro, Crappie Pro