Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minnow, keeping them alive.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnow, keeping them alive.

The heat is reall up here in Alabama, mid 90's during the day. And this is a real problem when trying to keep your minnows alive. Some days it seems the fish couldn't care less if the minnows are dead or alive, but those are rare days. So what are your tricks for keeping them alive.

BEST MINNOW BUCKET?
    I use an Aerobait Bait Saver Bucket. It's pretty rugged, insulated and has an aereator built into the bottom of it that runs off a D battery for hours and hours. When the seals and diaphragms in the pump go bad you can get replacements from the manufacturer, or even a whole new pump. It's been well worth the $30 it cost me.

OTHER TIPS?
    I will use ice to keep the water cool but find it's best to put the ice in a zip lock first so it doesn't "dilute" the water the minnows are used to. Also I find it's best to put the ice in early and try to keep the water cool, rather than lettting it heat up and then cool it down (more die if the temp fluctuates a lot).

What else works?
    Last edited by eddiebhome; 06-02-2006 at 07:57 AM.
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

I'm here in central MS . we know the heat well also .
    I've been keeping minnows in the fridge for 3 weeks " not everyone can get away with that":D I have a small cooler with a aquarium areator this not only keeps the minnows alive indefinately but also gives them more spunk on the hook.
    FIN

Post Thanks / Like

Default kEEPING MINNOWS ALIVE

If you buy your minnows at a bait shop that does not keep them inside in the cool they will last longer. Also, I have a 30 gallon Grayline bait tank that I use for shad and minnows. I use 1 cup of noniodized salt per 10 gallon of water. It helps keep shad and minnows alive.
    LIFE IS TO SHORT TO FISH WITH A DEAD MINNER AND I WISH I WAS SOMEWHERE HOOKING LIP.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Salt

How much salt do you think for a one gallon bucket?
    Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men...Matt 4:19

Post Thanks / Like

i put my minnows in a regular champagne style bucket. i carry two of em plus a couple 5 gallon buckets. 6-8 dozen in each bucket will keep em alive till i get to the lake, then i use the insert out of a metal minnow bucket, the one that has the styrofoam under the lid to make it float to put the minnows in while im fishing. i tie the bucket to the boat and it floats beside the boat, out of the way. once we get setup we dump all our minnows in this floating bucket and dip out several dozen or so at a time. doing it this way we dont have a problem with minnows dying in hot weather. our biggest problem is keeping em alive till we get to the lake, especially if weve bought a lot of minnows. if you see your minnows coming to the top seeming to gulp air, you better thin em out or change the water cause they are gettin stressed and arent far from dying. this works good on a nightstalking setup where we are anchored and not moving. if you hittin brushpiles in daylight and moving a lot you will probably need another method. i also have a 30 gallon grayline bait tank that works great for keepin minnows alive in hot weather. cool the water by using ice in ziploc bags. dont dump it directly in the water. if theres water treatment chemicals in the ice, it may kill your bait.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rango
    if you see your minnows coming to the top seeming to gulp air, you better thin em out or change the water cause they are gettin stressed and arent far from dying.

Dumping in a shot of hydrogen peroxide, will give the bait a little shot of oxygen. This is an old tournament bass fishermans trick I learned. They do this if something goes wrong with there aerator.
    If you ain't tyin' - you ain't fryin'

Take a kid fishin'
    Scrap

Post Thanks / Like

This is a little spendy but it works well in livewells,and insulated buckets,and I don't if anyone has seen these yet,but they are selling like hotcakes here in Minnesota.It's called "The Oxygenator" by Aqua Innovations.See http://www.keepfishalive.com/faqs.html

The Oxygenator will keep fish alive because it produces the necessary component for an optimum living environment: Oxygen. Anglers have a challenge in their quest for knowledge on how to keep fish alive longer because the equipment they had access to in the past was not adequate for the job. The old-style bubbler systems that pump ambient air through a stone are extremely inefficient and for many years it was the only option. That is no longer the case. The OXYGENATOR™ uses a patented (nano technology) process to produce oxygen that is readily absorbed into the water which keeps bait and fish not only healthy, but livelier as well.

The OXYGENATOR™ is available in a bait-bucket model called the Bait Keeper™, which will work in any bait container that is from one to five gallons. The Livewell Keeper™ model will retrofit any boat with a livewell from 15 to 35 gallons and operates off the existing boat battery. If a new boat is in your future look for The OXYGENATOR™ which is installed as standard equipment in Crestliner Boats, Skeeter Boats, Tracker Boats, Ranger Boats, Triton Boats and many other manufacturers will factory install The OXYGENATOR™ as optional equipment. Whether you’re style of fishing favors bass boats or walleye boats you get your best boat value when your watercraft livewell incorporates The OXYGENATOR™.

The Bait Keeper™ and Livewell Keeper™ are available at many sporting goods retailers and bait shops and can be found at all Gander Mountain stores, Bass Pro Shops, Cabela’s, and Reed’s Sporting Goods. If the OXYGENATOR™ is not in stock where you shop, have them order it for you. There are no other options when it comes to keeping your fish and bait alive.

THE OXYGENATOR Bait Keeper is designed for 2-5 gallons of water. THE OXYGENATOR operates with an on/off cycle indicated with a green LED and runs totally silent. You will not hear it operate. The (4) “AA” batteries should last about 4-5 days of continuous running. THE OXYGENATOR will NOT create a highly visible bubble action. Bubbles generated by THE OXYGENATOR are nano-bubbles and are so small they are difficult to see. Bait action in the bait bucket will make the bubbles invisible, however the unit will still be generating oxygen. Warm water holds less oxygen than cold water, so oxygen must be added to warm water more frequently to maintain proper levels of dissolved oxygen. THE OXYGENATOR contains a temperature sensor that tells the unit how much oxygen to produce based on water temperature. You will not have to make any adjustments. Simply turn on the unit and go fishing! A mineral deposit will build up on the screen of THE OXYGENATOR. You must clean THE OXYGENATOR after every use. A nylon brush has been supplied with your oxygenator. If the build up gets substantial you can clean it with a 50/50 mixture of a calcium-cleaning product.
    Livewell Box

THE OXYGENATOR is designed for FRESH WATER use only. DO NOT use the unit in salt-water applications. Use of salt or additives containing salt MUST BE AVOIDED. Adding pure oxygen to your bait bucket reduces stress in your bait, so these additives are not typically required. Non-salt containing additives are available commercially. Be sure to check the label before using such products.
    Last edited by CrappieMagnet; 06-02-2006 at 05:10 PM.
    CrappieMagnet

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I carry frozen liter bottles of water with me for drinking. Just take a few extra and throw one in my styrofoam bucket a couple times a day. They will keep all day. Especially if you remember to put the lid back on after getting one out.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

deleted
    Last edited by pescatore; 12-16-2008 at 09:42 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Post Crappie Magnet. Real good information.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast