Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MTL summer pattern

Post Thanks / Like

Default MTL summer pattern

Have vacation week after next. Trying to decide whether to spend all my time on the Missouri river or dedicate one of the choice days to a one day trip up to the lake. Does anyone know if the fish are locked on their summer pattern. And if so are they in their usual 8 to 14 foot deep range? Also are the good fish biting again? I've been hearing reports from the guys I work with that the few fish they could catch were small. Any info would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

Fished Monday afternoon Tuesday and Wednesday, bad windy everyday. The keeper fish we caught came from 10 to 16 fow. Pretty slow, in Big and Little Indian.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely not "locked" into any type of pattern. We caught limits last week pulling cranks, but it wasn't fast and furious. It should start anytime........I'm ready to rightline and maybe rig a little bit!

U

Post Thanks / Like

Was up there last week Sun thru Wed. Sunday we did good on the trees and drop offs just east of the 107 baot ramp (on the North bank). Monday and Tuesday were horrible, high clear skies with winds 20 to 30 mph and hot. Wed was still windy but the bite was picking up. We kept 10 fish 10 to 12 inches but only had a few hours to fish before we had to head home. We were fishing the main lake bluffs just east of Piegons Roost. The fish were starting to relate to the trees in 15-20 fow, and the bite was really light making it hard to see the bites the way the boat was bouncing around in the wind. We were using jigs (I used blk/chart with a crappie nibble) didn't try any minnows although we did see some guys fishing minnows 2 to 3 feet deep in 20 fow and catching lots of fish, but they were all small 6 to 8" and they were keeping them LOL.

Hope to go back up next Tuesday. It looks like the weather will be good and hopefully the fish will be getting into the summer pattern full swing. Will start out back where we were Wed. Will be in a old Blue/White Ranger w/ a CDC sticker on the back. Stop and say hi if you see us.

Post Thanks / Like

dang, N2, sounds like a slow trip. but your report is what I have been hearing from everyone. slow fishin and lots of dinks.
    those windy boat rocking and light bite days are prime for pullin cranks. at least then you can use the wind to your favor and the fish hook themselves usually.
    I finally have a trip planned, camping at the state park next weekend. will post pics and a report.
    hey Rt U, you gonna be back in time for some B.S.ing?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by south point View Post
    hey Rt U, you gonna be back in time for some B.S.ing?
    Flying back Thursday, probably try to reaclimate and spend some time with my wife Friday, but after that I'm not sure......might be able to sneak over? Will let you know when it gets closer!

U

Post Thanks / Like

I went Friday 06/22/12 and put in at the South Fork boat ramp. Was slow until about 1p.m. when I found a nice string of them. I went straight north of the South Fork boat ramp. I went under the 154 bridge and kept going straight north until I hit the rock wall with trees. I was pulling cranks all up and down that shoreline. I hit my limit and all were pretty big compared to what others were keeping. I just kept going back and forth using Bandit 200/300 series. Best were pearl/silver/metallic/light purple. It was not fast and furious as someone else said but I was getting about 5 per run. Also caught a monster perch while trolling. I tried to insert an image below but I'm new here so let's see if it works. The red line is where I was trolling.

Name:  MTL.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  50.0 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention. I was in 18-22 FOW and they seemed to be anywhere from 12 - 17ft deep.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice map TypeO........ How'd you do dat???
    FISH ON......... inspired by river monsters around the globe.......

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by claybuster View Post
    Nice map TypeO........ How'd you do dat???
    I just pulled up Google Maps and then clicked on "Satellite". After you get what you want to see on your screen, hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard to copy the screenshot and then paste it into either Paint or Photoshop so you can draw on it. It's just easier for me to do this than try and explain (especially when I'm not familiar with the area). I've only fished twain 3 times and only live an hour away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast