Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My slip bobber stop is preventing me from casting ...

State College, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My slip bobber stop is preventing me from casting ...

Hi there,

This is my first post here. I'd just like to say that since joining this forum my fishin' has improved immensely so a big thank you to all the Crappie gurus. I've always fished the spawn, but like so many others when they stop biting I usually pack it up for the year and fish rivers and streams. I went out today with my father to Foster Joseph Sayer's Dam in Howard, Pa (our favored Crappie waters) and we were trolling and watching our electronics. We were fishin' water from 14' all the way down to 30'. Now I've always used slip bobbers for my minnows but that was in more shallow water. I'm using Shipahoy's vertical jigging under a slip float technique and it's working great up until I start fishing in deeper water. The stop is getting caught in the line on the spool and prevents me from casting. I've used both kinds of bobber stops, the little red plastic strip with holes in it and the pre-tied stop knots, it happens with both. I respooled both of my rods thinking that maybe my line was twisted and that didn't help. Any tips for me, Crappie gurus? Much appreciated.

FishinFencer

Post Thanks / Like

I only use the pre-tied stops and have never had a problem. Are you cutting off the tag ends? If not, that's your problem. Otherwise you should have no problem with that tiny knot sliding through the rod guides.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply! Yes, I am cutting off the tag ends as close as I can without untying the knot or cutting my line. It's not getting stuck in the rod guides even though it's a tight fight through the end guide ... it's snagging the line on the reel.

Post Thanks / Like

What type of reel are you using????
    If it is a closed faced reel., there is not enough space within the reel to accept a bobber stop. (my personal experience)

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the site & board'

I use to use the stop knots but changed over to the little rubber stops and never had another problem. Flycaster is correct not good on closed face.
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 06-22-2012 at 09:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

The little rubber stops should work as the are slim and just look like a fat spot in the line. Also how deep are you setting it? If not really deep try casting witha little more line out than normal. If the red ones are not like a long football then get the rubber ones Fatman and I are talking about. I like them a good bit and are easy enough to change depth!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

No, it's an open faced spinner. I was fishin' deep (13'+) and it's a 5'6" rod so it's not really possible for me to have more than a rod length out and cast effectively. I'll look into the little rubber stops though!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, and it's a Daiwa 1500b light action 5'6".

Post Thanks / Like

I use a 10 foot rod and can fish up to about 15 feet of water and the slip knot never gets to the reel.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you using the 2-hole "dog bone" type, or the 4-hole? Also, are you sure you're filling your spool with enough line?

And Welcome!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast