Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement for Shimano Sahara SH750FB????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Replacement for Shimano Sahara SH750FB????

OK, I have been using Shimano's Sahara SH750FB on 5'-6" Wally Marshall ultralight Signature Series rods(from Bass Pro Shops) for years. Wally has now went with Lews and I have purchased the same rod that was originally made by Bass Pro Shops, but now in the Lews model. Model number is the same and it feels great. My problem is that I have really grown attached to the Shimano Sahara SH750FB reels on these rods, but as you know they have been discontinued. Moving up to the SH1000FB is out of the question for me on an ultralight and I just wanted to know if anyone has tried the smaller SH500FB, and if so how does it compare with the SH750FB? I throw a Roadrunner a lot and all size jigs as well. I want to stay with Shimano because I've had great service from them for many years bass & striper fishing. If anyone can give any feedback on the SH500FB performance I would appreciate it. Also, if anyone knows where I can find the discontinued SH750FB's new that would be great as well. I have drained my resources on the internet and the few places that did advertise them didn't have them when I called.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a thought. Check out eBay. Sometimes you can get discontinued models for next to nothing on there. I love the 750 size as well and have one on one of my 7' B n' M rods. Carries 2# test very well and this has been my no. 1 jig and casting rod for many years now. Not sure why they discontinued the 750? Darn good reel in a perfect size. They use to skip from the 750 and offer the 1500 size as next in their size up line-up. Maybe the 1000 is a compromise? I've had no experience with the new 500 size. Check the specs. and compare them to the 750 and see how it stacks up. Being a Shimano, it should be just fine.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the feedback, Crestliner08. The 750 has been my favorite for years as well. My son and I have caught small bream all the way up to 16# carp all on 4# Mr. Crappie line with this reel. I went to Bass Pro Shops last night and they only had one SH500FB in stock. I took along my 750 and the spool diameter is very close to the same size..just holds a little less line than the 750. So the castability should be there. The reel overall is considerably smaller, but according to the specs has all of the same features that the 750 did. The only difference is the price...$79(wow). I guess since I have such confidence in Shimano I'm going to have to go for it and see how it works out. Again, thanks for the reply. Oh yea, attached is a pic of my son with an 8#-2oz. largemouth he caught with the 750 and a wally marshall signature 5'-6" rod. He caught it w/Mr.Crappy 4# test and a very small jerkbait.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Fatman, I tried both of those sites yesterday and neither have them in stock. I guess I'm going to pick up a SH500FB this evening and give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Fix the ones you have, here's a number to call to get parts.
    1 (877) 577-0600
    "I'll live and die a fisherman."Calling John the Fisherman.."

Post Thanks / Like

Actually there is nothing wrong with the ones I have, I just need some more. But, I do appreciate the phone # because I do have one that needs a bell spring...I will call. I picked up a SH500FB this evening from BPS and gonna give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 1000's-2... 750's-2 and the 500's-3 ,i like the 500 best of all and use Stealth braid 10 lb. on all the 500 will cast almost as far as the 1000, but they balance better on all my rods. i use 2, 7ft wallys ,1, 6'6" allstar ,3, 5'4" allstars,all with tennesee handles. I have gotten all of mine at Academy Sports.

Post Thanks / Like

Diawa SS700

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfish View Post
    Diawa SS700
    Yes! Long live the SS Tournament Series!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast