Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Spotted Sunfish in Hampton Roads?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blue Spotted Sunfish in Hampton Roads?

Hi,
    Just wondering if anyone has come across any blue spotted sunfish in HR? I'm looking to collect some. thanks

Post Thanks / Like

not sure what you mean? lake phelps in N/C has some jumbo what the locals call speckle gills. i thought they were shellcrackers till i caught some. very large pumpkin seed bream. as a matter of fact they were some jumbos.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Jim is right on. If what You are looking for is a Pumpkin seed, Phelps Lake has the NC state record in it I'm sure. Some folks around here call them yellow bellies. I have some in a farm pond here but they are small. Some at Phelps will stretch from Your finger tips past your wrist watch. Best time to catch them all year was about 2 weeks ago. they are probably off the beds now but they can still be had.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard VBJohn. The biggest I've seen I caught at the mouth of Indian Town Creek and this was a one time deal for me.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crappiefarmer View Post
    Yes, Jim is right on. If what You are looking for is a Pumpkin seed, Phelps Lake has the NC state record in it I'm sure. Some folks around here call them yellow bellies. I have some in a farm pond here but they are small. Some at Phelps will stretch from Your finger tips past your wrist watch. Best time to catch them all year was about 2 weeks ago. they are probably off the beds now but they can still be had.CF
    i was bass fishing there about fifteen years ago and a local told me they were catching these speckle gills up to two pounds so i had to give it a try. if the spawn is over fish in the lilly pads on the bottom and hang on. biggest gills have ever seen. only problem is it's a long drive from where i live and back then i had a 18 1/2 bass boat and with the way the lake waves get i wrote this lake off my list. it is a awsome lake for bigger boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Blue spotted sunfish only grow to about 4". I was thinking that maybe they end up in bait traps. You can google them to see what they look like. Theres another cool small sunfish called the black banded, but its protected. I'm looking to get some for my aquarium. I have twin boys and we enjoy going out collecting small fish. Hey, wheres all the lily pads in Virginia Beach? I'm from NJ and every body of water is full with them. LOL
    Thanks for the welcome and info, so far.

Post Thanks / Like

The Virtual Aquarium of Virginia Tech--Sunfishes

Black Banded Sunfish (and other fish) also shown on this page, Virginia Tech Virtual Aquarium.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VBjohn View Post
    Blue spotted sunfish only grow to about 4". I was thinking that maybe they end up in bait traps. You can google them to see what they look like. Theres another cool small sunfish called the black banded, but its protected. I'm looking to get some for my aquarium. I have twin boys and we enjoy going out collecting small fish. Hey, wheres all the lily pads in Virginia Beach? I'm from NJ and every body of water is full with them. LOL
    Thanks for the welcome and info, so far.
    Here is a warmouth and flier, from north west river. These fish do not get so big. I take closeup pictures of odd fish to ID at home. I was thinking the warmouth may be a blue spotted but it has no black gill plate spot. Lily pads are at lotus gardens on the way to sandbridge.

Name:  Flier.jpg
Views: 3622
Size:  38.1 KBName:  warmouth.jpg
Views: 3093
Size:  25.6 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flatwater View Post
    Here is a warmouth and flier, from north west river. These fish do not get so big. I take closeup pictures of odd fish to ID at home. I was thinking the warmouth may be a blue spotted but it has no black gill plate spot. Lily pads are at lotus gardens on the way to sandbridge.

Name:  Flier.jpg
Views: 3622
Size:  38.1 KBName:  warmouth.jpg
Views: 3093
Size:  25.6 KB
    Flatwater, The Warmouth get bigger in ponds and millponds. I have a 5 acre farm pond that has some big war mouth in them. I will post a pic next time I catch one. they get over a pound in some ponds. Have also caught some big ones in Perquimins river but they are not in huge numbers there but can be had.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Redy2Fish View Post
    The Virtual Aquarium of Virginia Tech--Sunfishes

Black Banded Sunfish (and other fish) also shown on this page, Virginia Tech Virtual Aquarium.

Thanks R2F, that is a cool website. Thumbs Up I bookmarked it for later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast