Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Perry Lake Kansas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Perry Lake Kansas

Pre-fished for the Tournament this weekend. Had one of those Bad / Good Days. I went to retrieve my friends bouy that didn't spin out off the shoreline and broke off my trolling motor transducer.

Took the bouy back to him and while pulling up the trolling motor to survey the damage, the rope broke and I fell backwards on my best pole breaking it in half. $125.00 lost in less than three minutes. :o

On the lighter side, my buddy let me use the bottom of his Sam Heaton with my top end and I did real well the rest of the day. Perry has a lot of dinkers, but mixed in are some real health fish over 12". Some males are still no the banks in less than 8' of water. Females are spread out all over. Pearl & Yellows worked well.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a pic if it attached this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck this weekend Kit, hope you got the bad luck out of the way. I grew up fishing Perry can be a tough lake and a windy S.O.B. Just watch out for the team of Bunting/Bunting, they have been on a roll lately.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Nice mess-o-fish there Kit. Man is Kansas broke or is Perry out in the middle of nowhere. That's the most pathetic fish cleaning station i ever saw, FLINSTONES hehe...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

That's the best area we could find to clean the fish. I used the my oar for the cleaning board. Governments have no incentive to provide facilities for cleaning fish. As fishermen, we are pests to the authorities and are dealt with accordingly. The Kansas laws says fish must be cleaned at a fish cleaning station or designated cleaning area. None was provided and the Rent-a-camper didn't want us to dispose our entrails into the garbage as it stinks up the area around the "SSS" Station.
    Unlike the Private campground owner that provides a cleaning station and a smile as they collect your dollars and ask "How can I make your stay better?". If you don't like the service for the price, go somewhere else and if enough people don't like them, they go out of business. Since Government is a monopoly, who gives a crap if you don't have a place to clean your fish or a clean restroom?

I guess the real question is why do I support the Government owned campground? I shouldn't if I hate it that much. But there's nothing I can do by myself to change it. Most people are happy with coercion.

If anyone camps at Perry. I don't recommend Longview. The toilet facilities are sub standard. If you provide a toilet without a seat on it, you should at least have some handles or a brass pole to help you hover when you take a dump.

I digress and step off my soap box.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

Heck i thought you just layed them on the rock to take the picture. Had no idea of the conditions there, wow. Rathbun was the first place i've been in quite some time that did'nt have electricity at the cleaning stations and i thought that was roughing it. It might sound dumb but after using an electric knife for umteen years, it was like i never had a fillet knife in my hand before. I've grown soft and have gotten to comfortable...izzy Also upon returning from said trip i purchased one of these hppt://basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=447 It's a 12voltDC-110AC fillet knife, never be caught off gaurd..
    Last edited by izzysfishin; 06-01-2006 at 08:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Those Rapala 12V are really good knives. I'll never clean another catfish without one. I still use the fillet knives on the crappies. I get the most meat I can get off of them. I end up butchering one crappie out of every ten with the electric knife. Maybe someday I'll catch enough to get good at it with the E-knife.

G.
    Standing in the Gap

Post Thanks / Like

A buddy can clean his fish as fast if not faster, using just a regular fillet knife.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't do as well as I thought I would. My marked brush piles from the week before were cold. A small ones and no big ones. Ended up 12th in the weight. Ended up trolling cranks in 30 feet of water but couldn't get any over 12" long. Lot's 'o' fish in the 9" range though.
    Standing in the Gap