Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Painted vs. unpainted jig heads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Painted vs. unpainted jig heads

What is your preference?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've caught plenty of fish on both but if the fish seems slow to bite then most of the fish that day probably comes off the painted heads. Must be something to do with contrast when the fish gets finicky. Sometimes it's the orange ones and sometimes the pink or chartruese. Or maybe the heads dont matter and the colors just catch the fishermen...dunno.RoflRofl
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Was wondering the same thing about who is caught. LOL. I do have both.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish unpainted most of the time, but I do the same and switch to a painted head when the bite is soft.

Post Thanks / Like

I use them both.But when the good bite is on, and your fishing tubes in southern lake i dont think you need colored ones.I will say this,you should have 100's of painted and not painted in every tackle box..........lol
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use unpainted, mostly. I do have plenty of painted jigheads, but they're not weedless ... and where I usually throw my jigs, if you want them back with any regularity, they best be weedless !

Also, consider this : unpainted jigheads still have a "color" ... they're silver to grey. As such, they contrast with most of the "other" colors that my plastics are, as I don't use much in the way of silver or grey plastic bodies.

... cp

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Majority of mine are plain. Some painted but I start with basic and go from there.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I use nothing but unpainted heads. But then all my baits are big tubes with leadhead inserted inside. Years ago I Bass fished with a spinnerbait manufacturer who clear coated his spinnerbait heads. He would paint them all colors but used none on his. Always said he painted the rest to catch fishermen.This guy made countless baits over the years and alot of the pros got baits from him. We always caught plenty of Bass on unpainted and feel Crappie are the same. If you have read all the articles on color , you know they say in dingy or deep water alot of colors appear gray.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for unpainted heads. Never found it to be a problem. Also allows me not to worry about "matching" head colors to the bodies I'm using.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

Unpainted 95% of the time fishing plastics.