Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crazy boats accidents on memorial day

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default crazy boats accidents on memorial day

every memorial day weekend, really stupid things happen to boaters. DOn't know if it is the fact that people are taking boats out for the first time all year, or everyone thinks they need to go out over this holiday, or if it happenes to have a lot of beer involved. For whatever reason, more deaths and accidents seem to happen over this holiday weekend than most any. Exception would be 4th of July I guess. It was on this weekend many years ago that my wife had a freind that skied into a peir and killed him instantly.

Just watched the news and there were 3 deaths on the water over the holidays in thsi region. One accident that caught my attention was a fellow backing his boat in the water opened his door to get out of the truck and his pistol fell out. It fired when it hit the ground and shot a hole completely through his lower leg. That had to feel good.

What kind of things happened in your area?
    Last edited by David Waters; 05-30-2006 at 04:06 AM.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I had a "first" Saturday during the tournament - ran over/ was ran
    over by marine patrol... We were trolling along at about 2 mph, and he came
    running in on us to check our license. He came in a little "hot" and by the
    time he figured out we were moving, and I figured out he was gonna hit us,
    it was too late. I put it in neutral and started grabbing rods, and he hit
    reverse, causing the bow of his boat to dip... CLONK! My boat hit his and
    rode up onto the bow, then slid back off. He apologized while checking my
    license, and even though I did let out a big "word" when we hit, I managed to
    laught it off... But I'm thinking if I was in the new fiberglass boat I dream of,
    somebody would be paying! I didn't think to look at mine till yesterday,
    but I've got a couple of inch-long gouges up under the bow in the aluminum.
    Battle scars
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff you should have stuck a crankbait in his ear.. LOL That would have made him think.
    And you can bet if he did that to a glass boat he would be unhappy.

Stuff like that is the reason I don't get out and fish . Let the crazy people have there fun.

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Jeff glad to hear you where ok, nothing more than I hate is to get spot checked on the water. Just after I got my new glass boat, I received one. Needless to say I was worried about banging into my boat. If one had done that to mine I think there would have been a few phone calls made after to his supervisor.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

I would still make a call to the super if he dented my boat. Those idiots go 40+ mph through the bayous and don't slow down unless they are going to check you. No consideration to anyone fishing. I don't know how much benefit we get from that kind of officers.

Post Thanks / Like

There were a couple guys who died this weekend on their boat from CO poisoning on the AR river. Their wives were hospitalized. It sounded like they were running a generator to power their AC overnight and the fumes got 'em.
    I think I got one...

Post Thanks / Like

Heard there was a guy killed on a personal watercraft on KY/lake. Collided with some rocks and threw him. Didn't hear anything on my home waters....but I was as far away from it as I could get.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Good Friend Gone

Quote Originally Posted by badbrad
    Heard there was a guy killed on a personal watercraft on KY/lake. Collided with some rocks and threw him. Didn't hear anything on my home waters....but I was as far away from it as I could get.
    Yep the guy you are talking about was a good friend and fellow Towboat Pilot. What makes it even tuffer on me is the fact that just about 2 weeks ago he tried to sell me his 2 pwc, 1 of which he got killed on. I told him that I didn't have any business on one of those things and he said "Me neither, I need to get rid of the things before I kill myself." He was a single parent of 2 kids also.

God be with his family.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I did not even think about going last weekend. I stayed home and done the honeydo thing.

I'm glad you are ok Jeff. UH, no way I would have let him go for hitting my boat. grinning evil

Post Thanks / Like

we had someone get killed wed. or thursday night, while riding a wave runner, at night, with no running lights and NO LIFE JACKSET ON...2 of them hit each other, threw 4 people in water, 3 came up, the 4th came up about 3 days later...JUst as the weekend was in full swing...No tickets so far waiting on blood test...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast