Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crappie lights - clear water

Post Thanks / Like

Question Crappie lights - clear water

I'm a farily newby in crappie fishing. Just been at it since I joined CDC. It's getting hot around here now, the crappie seem to be getting to their summer haunts they had last year. My son (6) wants me to take him fishing more and I don't think he wants to bass fish. With the heat and my son liking to fish close to the boat, I'm thinking of getting a few lights and doing a little night fishing. I know he will absolutely LOVE being able to stay up late!

I generally fish a clear water (on a calm day you can see 20+ feet down), natural lake - no brush, stumps, or trees - just weedlines, points, and bottom changes. What kind of lights would you recommend buying for this style of water? Or would lights even be a good idea?

Where would you try setting up first? I was thinking in the mouths of bays or deeper weeds on the points, but I'm not sure.

What time should I start? Should we fish the evening as I normally would and then setup lights at dusk? How long do you normally stay?

Do you run your lights off a separate battery? I have 2 now, one for the troller and accessories, and one for starting and the depthfinder. I was just planning on running lights off the trolling motor battery?

Thanks for any help! (I did search and read many posts - but most talk about muddy water, setting up on brush piles, etc - not very useful to me here)

Post Thanks / Like

Go to Reel-Lites.com and check them out. I have 2 of them, a 408 & a 712. Very awesome lights, and Bob is an honest man that will treat you right. You might find his ad in the advertisers. Great underwater light, no bugs. Also barely any amp draw on your battery...Thanks, Larry (Crappie1)

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie 1 View Post
    Go to Reel-Lites.com and check them out. I have 2 of them, a 408 & a 712. Very awesome lights, and Bob is an honest man that will treat you right. You might find his ad in the advertisers. Great underwater light, no bugs. Also barely any amp draw on your battery...Thanks, Larry (Crappie1)
    Larry does that 408 u have throw out enoughlight, thinking to get one but don't want to get too big storage in boat is tightnow. Would only one 408 do or do I need to go larger. About 3-4 foot visibility in water on a good day, thanks
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Set up over a creek hopefully over some brush and in a bend. I would use Reel-Lites as in a green one or two. Set up before dark and just wait for the bait fish to show up and soon the crappie and maybe some other fish may end up there too. Put the brush on the bank of the creek if you can.

I just got one and am impressed! Mine is a 714 and am thinking about adding another so I can put one at each end of the boat, but will try this one first. I just think if several people are fishing and all of them want to be close to the light it can get crowded for tangles. Maybe even one on each said of the boat, but I don't know yet and need to go night fishing again soon. Well made lights though and you would be happy I feel sure!

http://www.reel-lites.com/

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice. To see if I'd like it, I bought 1 cheap light from gander. didnt have enough mosquito spray tonight and my son got bored about 945 so we left. But I did have minnows around and could see fish on the finder running up to them.
    BUT my baitshop was out of minnows, so he dropped worms and I tossed a nailtail. I hooked 4 crappies tonight, only one was kept. We did take some nice gills before dark.

Things I learned tonight.... Find the thermacell! Bring a jacket. Go deeper!!! like cdc members suggested. I was in 12feet of water by where a creek enters the lake. When we were leaving, there was tons of bigger fish just off the break at 12 feet, but in 30fow.

Thanks for the help, time to order some reel lights , and something to see the rodtips with.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of choices in lites............If i was only going to use one it would be white.Sometimes when i use two lites,sometimes one is green.but im been using the white ones,lanterns included for two long to change...lol
    I PRACTICE CATCH & FRY---DONT EVERYBODY ? Thumbs Up

Post Thanks / Like

I got a new crappie light as well, i use a red light that is normally used to deer hunt. You can see the tips and bobbers and dpesnt attract alot of bugs

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

You have 180 money back, that way it is almost try and see (if you like it)
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    Larry does that 408 u have throw out enoughlight, thinking to get one but don't want to get too big storage in boat is tightnow. Would only one 408 do or do I need to go larger. About 3-4 foot visibility in water on a good day, thanks
    The 408 works great, but the 714 is much brighter. Storage is no problem, put it in the rod locker. Lights are about1 1/2 " around. You won't find a better light for the money. Cheaper? Maybe. Better? Not likely.

Proud Member Of Team Geezer
    Member: Michigan Chapter of Team Overalls

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed reel-lites today and got a PHONE call from Bob with info/suggestions on his lights. Really wanting a 714 now. I ran the idea by my wife and she didn't say no (which we all know means yes....or she's too mad to say anything at all). I'll have to order one before she does say no

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast