Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Ultra Ultra Ultra light rod idea

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ultra Ultra Ultra light rod idea

So I purchased a Wilderness Commander a few months back and I've been playing with some crappie and BIG bluegill. I'm the type of guy that trys to catch kingfish with 6lbs mono on a ultra light rod from piers. Soooo I've been slowly down sizing my gear for crappie and bluegill. My main jig rod is a 6ft, 1-4line weight rod. I want to build an even smaller rod. I've been looking around and I think I found my new rod. I'm planning to build a 26in, 1-4lbs line weight ice fishing rod! I think it'll be a blast to catch some big crappie, bluegill or even bass on it. Anyone else have an "ultra light" they like to use?

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot docks on an occassional basis, and have a Shakespear XT UL 4'6" rod that seems to be my favorite right now, but also got a Bill Dance UL combo from BPS, but put a crappie max 750 size reel on it and they seem to work good together for me. The BD reel seemed a bit too big for my preference and I seem to put this crappie max reel on all my DS rods for the consistency. All of my DS rods are 4'6" or 5', and use 4lb hi vis. I don't have any "short rods" in the 26" range. Here's a link for you to consider if you're wanting a short rod. http://www.emmrod.com/ but you say you're gonna build the rod, but an ideal anyways.

GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Building one from a fly rod tip section might be another option.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My most "ultra, ultra, ultra lite rod is a Mitchell Zero Gravity (high molecular density carbon) ... 6' 6" 2pc rods w/Tenn style cork handles w/metal slip rings ... rated for 1/64-1/8oz lures & 2-6lb test line.

I'd be willing to bet that it weighs less than my 5' ESP UL graphite rod ... which is the shortest rod I own.

My Zero G's were the first UL rods I ever used, and I used them for several years as my primary panfish rods. But, I've steadily gotten into using heavier weight & action rods, over the years, as well as expanding my collection in the length dept. My 5' rods are the shortest I own, with a 10' SHSS rod being the longest.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Ive used zero g's before. I like mine around 5 foot if im dock shooting because i can also kinda jig it to instead of constantly shooting it

Post Thanks / Like

I do have some short ultra light rods, one made by Falcon that is a really nice rod, but also have an ultra light 10' rod that I have not got to use yet. The Falcon rods I have had for a really long time, like at least 15 years and probably closer to 18 years.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by skiptomylu View Post
    I do have some short ultra light rods, one made by Falcon that is a really nice rod, but also have an ultra light 10' rod that I have not got to use yet. The Falcon rods I have had for a really long time, like at least 15 years and probably closer to 18 years.
    X2 on the Falcons.
    I have no idea on building one, when I looked into it The blanks I found were more than an entire setup of proven equipment. I may look into it one day, just to say I built one but since I am new to fishing and recently started with no equipment I didn't want to invest that type of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TigerFanatic1 View Post
    X2 on the Falcons.
    I have no idea on building one, when I looked into it The blanks I found were more than an entire setup of proven equipment. I may look into it one day, just to say I built one but since I am new to fishing and recently started with no equipment I didn't want to invest that type of money.
    99% of the time a it is cheaper to buy a rod than built it. Just parts to build a 10,12,14 crappie rod would buy you 2-3 BnM rods. But at the end of the day its a custom rod, made the way you like it. It's addicting but well worth it.

I'm guessing the I will use the rod for vertical jig fishing and maybe casting minnow with a slip float. Something about catching a big crappie on a tiny rod. Idk, maybe its just me