Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help with perch setup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with perch setup

My son and I planned a trip to lake erie for this coming Saturday and really not sure what rod setup i should bring. Also im assuming we will be fishing deep soo what type of line and weight should i use. Thank you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like

6'- 6 1/2' med. lt or med. action rod 6 or 8 lb clear line is what i use

Post Thanks / Like

Heard minnows are workin alright

Post Thanks / Like

Have had good luck with a 1 1/2" orange "glo" floating head jig 3-6" under a 1/16th split shot baited with a leech. Good possibility of a walleye beating the perch to it...

Post Thanks / Like

6 ft lite fast action.....8lb mono, or 10/2 power pro......perch spreader......and lake shiners/minnows.....what part of erie u going to?those perch are a blast......we were up a few wks ago and the wall eye bite was real good

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

We are going to the western basin area on tibbles charters. It will be are first time up there.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

6.5' lite action rod. Kentucky Rig set up ( look at stickie at the top of this forum called knots and rig drawings for beginners) or a modified drop shot setup. When I was in Akron I fished lake Erie a lot for Jumbo Perch as well as Walleye. I used 6 pound line and my double hook rig was #4 hooks tipped with trained minnows. Two inch size works really well.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

go to the wal mart in port clinton near the ottawa air port (or any wally world near u up there).....get you some weighted perch spreaders 1/2oz what i usually get & some long shank snelled hooks......its pretty much verticle fishing out of an anchored boat.....the charter will take you right to em, im guessing round kellys or cedar point area....anything light to med light fast tip as far as rod is good, just make sure its got nuff back bone for the suprise wally/sheephead/white bass you may encounter......hopeyou wack em, post how you all do

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I caught mine with 8' ML Mod rod 10# powerpro. Off the bottom of 20' water nightcrawlers. I went no sinkers but if need be use a splitshot like 1/8th oz but conditions will dictate that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help guys! I ended up getting my son a berkley cherrywood in light action 5.5ft. Im going to my bnm 7.5 crappie wizard for myself.