Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Action speaks louder that words (or color)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Action speaks louder that words (or color)

As most of you have figured out by reading my threads, I only use my own handpoured baits or modifications of baits I've bought. One thing that stands out in the overwhelming success of any crappie/ universal lure I've ever used is the finesse characteristics of a lure and/or the finesse imparted by the angler. Finesse usually equates to vulnerability, but recently I have a theory that it does more as it relates to a fish's incredible senses, sensitivity and irritability.

A fly passes by your ear or eyes and you swat it away. If it lands on a hair anywhere on your body, you swat it. Hair is connected to nerve endings which transmit any hair motion. A fish's lateral line (according to fish biologists) is extremely sensitive to any vibration or motion underwater and a lure that has an action tail, straight or curly, not only is seen, but felt, allowing a fish to sense a lure's speed, size and direction, but also the action of the tail, even in total darkness.

Not all lures have action tails - a suspending Rapala for example wobbles. But but suspending the lure in place after a retrieve of a few feet with maybe a few rod tip twitches, gives the lure a finesse action that drive crappie nuts!

Soft plastics may also not have an action tail (ie. some minnows), but the slow fall on a 1/32 oz jighead is finesse itself and attractive. Add a very thin tail, a prong or wavy, and you have something that, in my opinion, irritates the fish into swatting the object because of the affect of the tiny movements of the lure's tiny action tail.

I've noticed that sometimes Mr.Twister tails have too much action for neutral fish and will replace their tails with prongs or smaller curly tails.
    It always makes a difference in the catch rate.

Most of the time less is more.
    Last edited by Spoonminnow; 06-13-2012 at 07:50 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats a good point, last night i caught a bass at 8:30 with a spinnerbait. Sometimes it noise like you said! Good post

Post Thanks / Like

Let me first say that I use Keitech Swim baits for 100% of my Crappie fishing because of the ACTION, scent, and natural colors.
    They "Move" under a bobber, jigging, swimming with a jig head, drop shotting, etc, etc.
    If the pattern calls for a slower retrieve for those neutral fish I normally stop and start the retrieve or make the bait look injured or dying and that normally gets those "lazy" Crappie to go after a "EASY" meal!

Most fishermen tend to over-think fishing...I normally carry 5 colors of Keitech Swing Impacts for different "match the hatches" or normal feeding patterns, and for sunny or cloudy days...along with a 1/16th 1/0 jighead for calm days and a 1/8th 1/0 for windy days, and Glow Chartreuse Crappie niblets.....that is my entire Crappie lure collection!
    I have no problem filling 2 freezers yearly for Winter-time slabfests! Then through the Summer until the water cools, I just fish for fun and C&R!
    Last edited by INTIMIDATOR; 06-13-2012 at 12:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That 3" swimbait and the 1/0 hook seems kind of large for crappie. No finesse with that rig. I have caught crappie and other panfish on pretty large (for them) crankbaits and soft plastic worms, but usually I get numbers with small lures. They also get bit under a bobber? I'll have to try that with the 3" Keitech sw/b's I own.

I've also had success with a tandem rig - a drop shot hook 1-2' above a rigged jighead and have gotten many doubles. I'll try that tomorrow.