Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Spawning time

Post Thanks / Like

Default Spawning time

Hi Craig,

I got to wondering the other day (scary I know) and I wondered once the female lays her eggs and the males come up and do their business, how long does the process take from fertilization to the eggs actually hatching? I've never seen any information on that and was wondering how long that process actually takes.

Also, in that first year how much do the fry typically grow?

Just one of the many curiositys from me.

Thanks again Craig!

Tyson

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainT16 View Post
    Hi Craig,

I got to wondering the other day (scary I know) and I wondered once the female lays her eggs and the males come up and do their business, how long does the process take from fertilization to the eggs actually hatching? I've never seen any information on that and was wondering how long that process actually takes.

Also, in that first year how much do the fry typically grow?

Just one of the many curiositys from me.

Thanks again Craig!

Tyson
    Tyson,

The eggs will hatch 4 to 5 days after being fertilized. However, after wriggling free of their eggs the newly hatched crappie will remain attached to the nest substrate with a sticky substance for another couple of days before dispersing.

In Kansas, we do the majority of our sampling for crappie during the fall test netting period which is in October. When we see crappie during this sample that were hatched the same spring then we call these crappie 'young of the year' fish and they have one growing season under their belt. Normally these YOY crappie will be in the neighborhood of 70-120mm. When we see these fish again the next sampling season, during October, we will call these Age-1 fish even though they are quite a bit older than a one-year (read 12-month old) fish as they are sampled in October of the year. Clear as mud? Calling them Age-1+ is a little easier to understand as they would be one year and several months old when we see them for a second time. These Age-1 fish in Kansas will usually be around 150-200mm depending on the lake on how good of growth they have encountered. Some years fish growth can be really good and other years it may be really poor. Growth depends on many, many factors but these are some 'ball park' lengths for Kansas crappie.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! Very good information as I have often wondered about. Thank you so much for the time you put into each and every answer you provide on here. Always great information.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Craig, good job.

Craig Johnson is offline Moderator "Ask The Biologist" Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainT16 View Post
    Wow! Very good information as I have often wondered about. Thank you so much for the time you put into each and every answer you provide on here. Always great information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog40 View Post
    Thanks for the info Craig, good job.
    Thanks guys. I am happy to be able to answer your questions!