Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Roadrunner - 8 species

Post Thanks / Like

Default Roadrunner - 8 species

Just started using Roadrunners with twister tail bodies. You never know what you will catch. Yesterday caught: crappie, LM bass, white bass, drum, bluegill, green sunfish, channel cat and walleye - 8 species on one lure. Just wanted to share.

Post Thanks / Like

Outstanding. One of my favorite jigs/lures. So many different ways to fish them. I've done pretty well using a roadrunner jighead with a small gulp minnow (emerald shiner?). I'm sure it would work as well with any brand splitail plastic minnow like a zoom fluke.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Post Thanks / Like

Since i'm new to RRs, how do you use them besides casting.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot which pro fisherman used the zoom set up to win a major I beleve in the FLW bass fishing. He was throwing it around bridge pilings catching spotted bass. Using 1/4 oz heads.

Just throwing this in talking about catching every thing on a RR. Caught a about 15 in crappie on a 7" zoom worm bass fishing the other day. I caught it on the inital fall by a downed tree. That was a nice bonus that day.:D
    If in doubt, cross their eyes!!

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by rls1936
    Since i'm new to RRs, how do you use them besides casting.
    I've successfully used RR's to catch Crappie & other species of fish, by not only casting, but by trolling them, as well. I've seen TV angler, Jimmy Houston, use them to vertical jig with ... and catch fish. I've also seen other anglers do the same.
    Mainly, I use them to cast with ... specifically, alongside bridge pilons - overtop of shallow, submerged wood - overtop of stumpbeds on flats - or in open water situations, where the Crappie are suspended below a school of baitfish. Situations where my bait has to come in contact, or will most likely come in contact, with timber or other snaggable obstructions ... I tend to rely on a weedless jighead/plastic body type of bait, and a slower retrieve. My feeling on this is ... if they're suspended "outside" of the cover, they're actively searching for food; and the speed of the RR (enough to make the blade spin) is such that they will intercept it, if not chase after it for a short distance --- if suspended "within" the confines of the cover, they're not as active, and may be in a negative or neutral mood. The slower presentation of a weedless jig, and its ability to get into and out of the cover (with less chance of hanging up), gives the fish a chance to take the bait without having to move far or come out of the secure confines of the cover. ......... just MHO ......... luck2ya ...... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Crappiepappy. I have wondered that myself.