Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomato? HHD?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tomato? HHD?

Since HHD brought it up. Which tomato is your fav? I planted some type of pink tomato last year that was really good. For the life of me I can't remember the exact name. German Pink maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

May have been Caspian Pink. That is consistently ranked high in the taste tests along with Brandywine. Brandywine has always been a little particular and hard for me to grow and seems to crack badly. If you want a fool proof tomato that also tastes good...try BIG Beef. It was an all american selection winnner a few years back and is my go-to main crop tomato. Never fails. And by all means, you have to try Cherokee Purple. Last , but not least.... if you can get your hands on some Kellogg's Breakfast...(big yellow with some red in the interior)...you will be in heaven. I grow my own plants, so some of these are probably not easy to find as plants in the local nursery.

HHD
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

I love Brandywine. Mine always crack and look ugly, but they are so big that there is plenty of good tomatoes slices left. I think that is the nature of heirlooms. I left my seedlings out too early and they all froze, so I bought plants and tried some new types. I'm pretty excited about the Cherokee purple!

Growler

Post Thanks / Like

My tomatoes were not worth the time I put in them last year for some reason. I will try some of those BIG Beef next year. I will keep my eyes open for the Kellogg's Breakfast and Cherokee purple also. Thanks for the tips guys.

Post Thanks / Like

The pink I like is called Ponderosa. It is low acid so may not be for everyone. Couldn't find them this year so planted another pink that for the life of me I cannot recall the name.

kwerdal is offline Moderator Indiana Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought this said tornado LOL
    Kevin

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've currently got several German Queen plants growing. 1st time for me & I'm anxious to try them.

Post Thanks / Like

I just remembered an heirloom variety called German Johnson....which is a big pink tomato. That may have been the one that jpdawg had. I've read about it in the past , but never tried it.

HHD

German Johnson

80 days. Lycopersicon esculentum. Plant produces good yields of a very large 16 oz pink tomatoes. The tomatoes are meaty, very flavorful, have very few seeds, and turn pink with yellow shoulders when mature. This regular leaf variety is one of the parents of the Mortgage Lifter. A heirloom variety from North Carolina and Virginia, USA. Indeterminate. pk/20
    GnawMart Tenderloin Sandwich Prostaff, Gnawbone Indiana

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kycreekboy View Post
    I've currently got several German Queen plants growing. 1st time for me & I'm anxious to try them.
    How did those German Queen tomatoes turn out for you ky?

kycreek is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Of all the pink varities(German Queen, Bradley, Mortage lifter & Pink brandywine) I had this year the German Queen was by far my favorite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast