Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Pomme Question?????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pomme Question?????????????????

I'm having trouble catching crappie on jigs on Pomme. Minnows almost always seem to do the trick but I prefer to use the old plastic. What is your favorite color of jig to use on pomme. Thanks for the help on this I don't get a lot of time to crappie fish and try to be as preductive as possible when I'm out there. Also is there ever any Crappie Tournaments on Pomme. I use to fish them on Stockton but we could never seem to get more than 8 boats per tournament to show up. Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I fish a salt and pepper (dull white with black flakes) and do good.Crappie Slayers tourn is a good one to go to.Has it every month and it's ran by a pretty good ol boy.He also fishes alot on Pomme so talk to Brad on some pointers.

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search on this site and you will find other reports/recommendations for Pomme de Terre.

go to the mo-tournaments-clubs page. you will see Crappie Slayers tournaments listed.

MO Tournaments and Clubs

You also can search the regatta listings for Pomme de Terre Lake for the month you are interested in fishing a tournament.

Search Web

Post Thanks / Like

Chargerspots ...... I'm just learning but here's my two cents ....... my wife and I went to the Bolivar landing area day before yesterday and we caught one of just about every kind of fish on 2 inch triple ripple blu/blk body with chart tail .... they also liked triple ripple root beer with chart tail. Let them fall or slowly swim. Those colors did so well I don't think we tried anything else. Couple of keeper Crappie and several dinks, three smaller bass , one almost keeper, a bunch of perch, one fish I could not turn probably a catfish, and about a 4 pound Drum YUCK !! .... We fished from about 5:00 pm till 8:30.... not the best time of day but the wife had the strength and desire to go .... When she says she wants to go fishing I start loading up.
    Good Luck
    I have not yet begun to procrastinate .....

Post Thanks / Like

Pomme is a great lake to fish and the jig fishing is excellent. It is hard to pick just a handful of colors(any color will work, what you have confidence in is what I would throw) but some I love for Pomme are:

White with black flake (white pepper)
    Blue Ice
    Any shade of blue, gray or white
    Anything with chart
    Pale pink

Here's how I would start -

Trees:
    They are hard to see right now, lake is two feet high but should be back to normal soon. Start by pitching or casting your jig past the tree, let it fall slowly back to you. I prefer a 1/16th oz jig head and tripple ripple tail grub, although any jig body style will work just fine. Experiment, pitch two feet past tree and then six feet past, etc.... You can also cast and count down to specific depth (watch for fishing reports) and slowly reel back. It's a little easier to feel the bite and set the hook when you are moving the bait. As a rule of thumb 1/16th oz will fall one foot per second, 1/8th two feet per second, etc... start at 2-4 feet and keep going deeper until you start to get bites, once you find the depth keep it close the rest of the day 6-10 is pretty common.

After pitching/casting to the tree you can verticle fish it. Drop the jig straight down, hold still, jiggle or wiggle a little, slowly reel all the way up. Experiment, no wrong way just go and do it!

Brush Piles:
    I like to start by casting to the pile, counting down and reel back over the top of the brush. Then I will verticle fish the pile, start in the top of the brush and work the jig down into the brush, be careful you can loose a lot of jigs this way.

Jigs can be more of a challenge to use at first, they will just suck it in and then spit it out where they will generally swallow a minnow. Remember to watch your line and rod tip, you will see it before you feel it. The more attention you pay to your line and rod tip the greater percentage hook up you will have.

We have a Crappie Slayers Tournament Series on Pomme - Fish once a month from March - October, it is more like a club and friends getting together than a tourney, a lot of fun. Watch the tourney board for additional info, the next one is the second Saturday in July. We just finished our June Tourney yesterday, results were posted in the club and tourney thread.

If you have any questions feel free to just ask.

Good luck on your quest and keep us updated.

Brad
    Can You Find, "LIMITVILLE!!!" :D

Post Thanks / Like

What Brad said X2.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info Brad .... I for one do value all the great tips the guys share on here and I have learned a bunch ..... my live wells just don't show it yet. banghead
    I have not yet begun to procrastinate .....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone for taking the time out of your day for the information. I ended up on Stockton yesterday and had a good day over all. Had to force feed them crappie to get them to bite. They were all over the graph in 18 to 25 feet about 4 feet from the bottom. Had to let the jig hit the bottome and pull it up 4 to 5 feet with my rod and they would hit it on the fall. I fished around Cedar Ridge. Talked to a couple guys who were there last week when the bad deal happended at Cedar Ridge. They were still shookin up about it. Hope they can find away to get that off there mind. Thanks again for the information and hope you fill your live wells up.