Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: trolling from a canoe

Post Thanks / Like

Default trolling from a canoe

Will rowing the canoe scare fish? How close to the canoe would be a good distance?
    How could I troll with live minnows?

Is it possible to go too fast rowing while trolling for crappie?

I figured trolling from a canoe is a good way to fish and get a workout at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

It wont scare them if you bearly row like dont go 3 feet in the water with the paddle and you can go slow 'which is good for summer crappie.' You wont be able to go super fast but you can go fast enough but its going to wear you out in the summer sun

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish1928 View Post
    Will rowing the canoe scare fish? How close to the canoe would be a good distance?

I figured trolling from a canoe is a good way to fish and get a workout at the same time.

You don't row a canoe, you paddle it. Thumbs Up

How close to what from the canoe? If you're talking from fish, why get any closer than you need to?

I wouldn't know any advantage of trolling with live minnows, try crankbaits.

I don't think you'll paddle a canoe too fast, at least not for very long.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeonMoon View Post
    You don't row a canoe, you paddle it. Thumbs Up

How close to what from the canoe? If you're talking from fish, why get any closer than you need to?

I wouldn't know any advantage of trolling with live minnows, try crankbaits.

I meant how far should I set my lines away from the canoe?
    I don't think you'll paddle a canoe too fast, at least not for very long.
    I caught was at a 50 percent hook-up to landing rate trolling the lures at over 120 ft behind the canoe and want to now how close can I set my lines and still caught fish. I figured if my lure was directly underneath the canoe, wouldn't the fish be too scared to attack the lure?

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bluefish1928 View Post

If youre fishing live minnows you want to move at a snails pace. Any faster is too fast. Paddling the canoe shouldnt scare the fish unless youre fishing shallow and your hooks are very near the boat. If youre fishing deep then you should be alright with your lines straight down beside the canoe. If the fish are hungry they'll eat.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Talk to DitchBasser or ZMan. I believe both of them use a spider rig to troll jigs for crappie in shallows.

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling from a canoe is possible when you have figured out the type of rod holder
    you choose to utilize. One rod or two? Multiple rods, I'd like to see the configuration you use.
    Think slow, then slow down even more with minnows. Crankbaits are different depending on
    their size. Experiment, trial & error, frustrations and tangled lines later, you might just figure it
    out and find a favorable solution. Until I find the right rod holder I like, I'll continue to drift
    fish with a couple of rods and jigs and leave the minnows in the lake to reproduce for minnow fishermen.
    PVC is an amazing product that can be utilized in so many ways, I'm still amazed. I've seen some
    great ideas right here on this site using pvc and I believe someone will come up with a way
    to troll from a kayak/canoe using 3 or 4 rods and be successful catching crappie. If someone
    does, and I have to paddle backwards to troll...........I'll try it.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

You can't go too fast in canoe using crankbaits, may even want to use a kayak paddle for a faster cadence.