Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Brass jigheads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Brass jigheads

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of or tried melting down brass and pouring jigheads or if it can even be done? My line of work gives me access to some brass and I was just curious if it could be done. If it can then I wonder if it would be more or less toxic than lead? Also I was wondering about the weight . If you poured brass into a 1/8th oz. jig mold would it still weigh 1/8th oz. or would it be more or less? It seems like the color would even be something that the crappie would be attracted to.

Post Thanks / Like

There are 2 types of Brass. Yellow which is the softest, is the most common that is used in fishing products. And then there is Red brass which is much stronger, and is used more in things like pipe fittings. Both types easily tarnish in water. Many older spinning blades were made out of Brass. Most were nickel plated, but some sported the virgin Yellow Brass finish.

I am pretty sure that Brass, either type, would have a much higher melting point than lead. Whether or not your equipment/molds would hold up to the task would be my first concern. Cost may be another deterent.

I believe that Lead is heavier than Brass too, if I am not mistaken. If light is your goal for a bigger profiled head, then that would be a good thing. Maybe someone else has some better knowledge? I hope this helps you some.

<,"}/>{ Rippa
    Just one more cast, I promise!
    Common sense isn't all that common these days.
    Take the Time & Take the Kids

papasage is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year & Moderator GA * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

i have seen some new weights that are brass colored the new one that is supose to replace led weights . i have some but haven read what they are made of . all i have seen is foe bas fishing . guess the brass would be hard to smash with your teeth :D ..i would just try painting some brass and see if it works befor going to the trouble and it didnt . papasage
    retired and now i will always fish