Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Bass-tastic!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bass-tastic!

Went fishing yesterday afternoon at Offutt Lake again around 3:30pm, only was out there for an hour. Wanted to stay longer, but my grandmother needed a favor. In anycase, i pulled in 35 bluegills on two worms tipped on a jig within that hour. Quality wasn't great as the largest one was a little under 6". Dumped them all back into the water and told myself i would go out to Walnut Creek this morning and see what size bluegill i could catch out there.

Didn't go as planned. Woke up at 5:30 and stopped at McDonald's for breakfast and about 3/4 of the way there, i realized i was driving back out to Offutt Lake again. Oh well, i thought, I'll go to Walnut Creek later today. Started to make that right handed turn to head towards the peninsula when my gut told me to turn around and head towards the north side of the lake near the archery range. Since the sun wasn't hitting the water in the area yet, i thought maybe i could try to see if some crappie were in the area. Used a hand tied jig at first and then later used a plastic with no such luck. So i tipped the hand tied jig with a little piece of worm to see what bluegill i could get and still couldn't get a bite.

As i saw the sun hit the water on the west side of the lake, i noticed some action on top of the water from larger fish, most likely bass. The water all across the lake was like glass. Very calm and no wind. As the sun was nearing my spot, i noticed the same thing, although they weren't breaking the surface of the water, you could see the water churn without the splash. By this time, i was using one of my blue fox deep series spinners. Now the area im fishing has a lot of rocks so im pretty careful not to reel so slow that it gets caught. Well, after a few casts, im gradually slowing things down and thats when i get nabbed. The line stops dead and i think, oh great caught on the rocks, as i pull it starts to giving making me think so im caught in someone's line (Since a lot of folks fish for catfish in this spot). As im pulling it up (not reeling) i see the white of a bass coming out of the murky water and start reeling, but this guy isn't putting up much of a fight. It's not until his body breaks the surface of the water that he started thrashing around and threw the spinner from his mouth. Damn! That was a 3 - 4lb bass i lost. But at least i know what they are biting on. As more sun shines in the area, the frequency of bites from the bass increase. The problem is, the retrieve has to be slow, because they didn't seem to want to chase the spinner down, and they weren't hitting it hard enough for me to tell the difference between getting snagged on the rocks to set the hook in their mouths. I had 4 Blue Fox Deep Series spinners and 8 shallow series spinners. They didn't touch the shallow series as it ran above the murky sheen in the water, only the deep series ran under it and that's where they struck. I lost the 4 deep series spinners on the rocks 2, setting the hook thinking i had a bite and the other two from retrieving it so slow it snagged. I actually got snagged about a dozen times, but eventually i lost all four. I had 7 good hits from bass, its just that the treble hook on the spinner wasn't able to stay in long enough for me to bring them in.

I tried switching to a white roadrunner with a plastic minnow body since the hook a bit bigger than the 3/16oz spinners, but they wouldn't touch that, the wanted the blue fox spinners. So i gotta go to Cabelas and get a gift card and reorder the same spinners again (They don't carry them in the store). This would be the 3rd time this year that i have had to replace the set. Might as well swing out to Bass Pro Shop and pick up some of the those plastic twin paddle tails to try and imitate the frog tadpoles.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention, I also broke the rod tip on one of my light fast action rods. So i'll tack that on the list of things i need to get from Cabelas.

Post Thanks / Like

I normally don't like venting on the internet, but today was just terrible.

After i picked my stuff up from Cabelas, stopped home and ordered what i needed online. I got prepared to head out to Walnut Creek for the intended trip i wanted this morning. I should have taken the sign of losing my spinners this morning as a bad omen for what would happen in the afternoon. For those who know Walnut Creek, there is a pack in / pack out rule, basically pick up after yourselves. Few folks ignore this and leave their garbage out there, especially fishing line. As i picked out my spot on the island next to a couple who was packing up to leave, i set my stuff down and noticed a lot of thick fishing line wrapped up in the grass, so i took the time to pick it up and wrap it up into a ball about the size of a tennis ball. The couple looked at me and asked what was i doing, i said "pack in pack out, this stuff may not be mine, but i like to see this place clean and not have fishing line tangled up everywhere". The guy looked at me and muttered under his breath "idiot" as they walked away. I shook it off and started to fish. Bout an hour goes by and a family comes down with a few crappie rods fishing off the bridge, one of them catches a big bass, but i can see from where i am standing, this fish won't meet the 21" minimum for the lake. I give it 10 min and i walk over and congratulate them on the catch and mention the 21" minimum, the grandmother proceeds to get in my face and cuss me out for being nosey. i walked away and let it be. The never did put the bass back, but i did estimate it to be 13 - 14". By now, im feeling pretty embarrassed around the other folks. There is another family on the other side of the island, and these people have been abnoxious all afternoon, the vulgar language, the guy who thinks he can rap, the kids screaming and throwing stones in the water. Then one of the adults catches a bullfrog, and for the enjoyment of the kids, he puts it on the portable grill that they brought with them. Next thing i know, i can see some of the kids playing with it, then one of them accidentally throws it in the spot where i am fishing at. I closed my eyes took a deep breath to relax and something drops out of the sky and hits my shoulder, i look up to see a bird flying by and look down at my shoulder to see bird poop.

I'm done.

In a matter of 3 hours, i've been called an idiot for picking up fishing line, cussed out at for pointing out a fishing reg, and pooped on. Terrible day.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL...sounds like one of those afternoons you shoulda been home typing something up on Crappie.com instead of fishing. Yesterday afernoon sounded alright though. I hardly ever go fishing where I dont loose some tackle. I know that sucked breaking that rod tip though.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheer up Chris, there is always tomorrow! I have been mowing for the past few days so haven't had time to get a line wet. Still hoping to get a chance to run out to Wanahoo and check it out this week or next. The week after that we are headed to South Dakota to do some fishing up there. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gabowman View Post
    LOL...sounds like one of those afternoons you shoulda been home typing something up on Crappie.com instead of fishing. Yesterday afernoon sounded alright though. I hardly ever go fishing where I dont loose some tackle. I know that sucked breaking that rod tip though.
    I'm actually gonna still use it. I'll just clip off the portion of the rod to the next loop hole. I should've kept my butt home and done laundry and clean the pile of dishes in the sink, haha.

Yea, every day is an opportunity. I've been neglecting Wehrspann since earlier April, so that might be my target tomorrow or Thursday.