Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everybody read this.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Everybody read this.

What is Crappie.Com about? When i registered i read everything, said it was a fun family friendly site. Well i cant see that! Here is why i say this. I love fishing more than anything, and I also have a competetive side to me. I get on here see all these Tournaments and I,m like i finally found something here but most of them are a pretty good hike for me and so i had a idea. So i tried to start my own. Bought scales, tents, created web sites, and posted tournaments on here. THE VERY FIRST ONE, I had a man get on it and tell everybody that the lake was nothing but a garhole. Had 25 calls about that tournament he posted that and had 4 boats. Next tournament, had about the same amount of calls guy post on it that the lake was nothing but short fish and junk fish, we had 4 boats. Had several folks tell me hay nobody,s gonna come to a $30 tournament theres no money its a waist of time. So I,m all about advise, so today i asked on Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi state forums who would be interested in a $250 per boat tournament. I figure if you want to fish for big money thats pretty good. Right out of the gate here comes all the complainers! Folks saying they hate tournaments, wish there weren,t any, complaining on how to catch the fish, complaining about trolling and Blah Blah Blah! Do these people do this on every page that post a tournament or just mine? Is that not what this site is for???? Or is it just to post pictures of fish or what? Cause maybe i got the wrong idea when i joined it?????

Post Thanks / Like

Few more things. They complained that i said i had a facebook page for our tournaments and said i should go to crappie masters or crappie usa if i wanted to hold a $250 tournament. ?????? My thoughts are if you don,t like it don,t come or respond to it.

Post Thanks / Like

why are you bent on starting a tournament. If you posted and got little response then maybe there is little interest. there are some folks who like to fish them. Why not join the magnolia crappie club as they have regular tournaments. I don't recollect any one telling you to go buy all the stuff you did as it was on your own accord I think with good intentions. Just my 2 cents. I think you are headed down the wrong track with your posts IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbowhunter View Post
    why are you bent on starting a tournament. If you posted and got little response then maybe there is little interest. there are some folks who like to fish them. Why not join the magnolia crappie club as they have regular tournaments. I don't recollect any one telling you to go buy all the stuff you did as it was on your own accord I think with good intentions. Just my 2 cents. I think you are headed down the wrong track with your posts IMO.
    Agreed, it isn't the tournaments that turn people off. It is just that some people that fish them make them not fun.
    "Those who will trade a little liberty for a little security will lose both and deserve neither" Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like

Psalm 133:1 1 " Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!"

I am sorry some of our Crappie.com brothers have said bad things about the lakes you chose, but most of us are good decent folks. I love to fish but don't lie to fish tournament.
    If you think this is what you want to do don't give up. Try again
    KJV Numbers 32:23 " be sure your sin will find you out."

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Roughneck, My thoughts were to hold small tournaments closer to home for people who didn,t want to travel alot. Plus the fact i didn,t charge to be a member of a (CLUB) and i didn,t make a dime for holding them cause thats what i like to do. But i see where kindness gets you now days.

Post Thanks / Like

x2 ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbowhunter View Post
    From the ARK-LA-MISS Delta....... Crappie Paradise ! ! ! !

Post Thanks / Like

I started a club for tournaments 2 years ago. We average about 8-10 boats. There are no membership dues, and all tournaments are 100% pay back, as in every dollar paid for entrance into the tournament is paid out to the top three winning teams. I solicited ehlp from others and put them in charge as they voluntered. We as a group put on the tournaments. In fact this weekend I couldnt attend Saturday tournament and one of the others voluntered to be in charge.

DO I wish more would attend, you bet. However I realize life sometimes gets in the way and they cant make it. That's OK, maybe they can make the next one. One thing I learned as the ScoutMaster, if you are consistent and provide a good program, they will come, and come they did. We heald a capmout one weekend of the month every month of the year. Word got out, and out Troop grew from 12 active Scouts to 43 active Scouts. Some campouts we had more adults than youth.

Last year was our first year and we didnt advertise too well. This year we set the schedule in Jan-Feb, and started promoting immediately. One member volunteered to print up material, he works at a commercial print shop. Thanks to his companies kindness, we now have letterhead, printed schedule, and sent out printed letters to about 3 dozen potential sponsors. I have head from 2 so far.

Our nearest Crappie club is over an hour away, and they fish akes even further away. Our challenge is hp restrictions in the immediate area. Most the lakes within 1 hour drive have 40hp, 25hp, and 10hp limits. Tough to get gentlemen with large boat to attend due to the restrictions, however those are the bodies of water in the area, and our tournaments are geared to those who live in the area. Our tournament entrance fee is $20 per boat, and $10 for big fish per boat. We split $140-$200 between the three winning teams, 50%, 30%, 20% respectively. First place could walk away with $100 for 5 hours of fishing.

I like to go one step further, and do a reflection. At the end of the day or at the next meeting we do a round robin and I aks one simple question. What did you like, and what should we change to make it better? The only rule is no personal attacks, this is about the tournament and not personal differences. This gives the participants the opportunity to offer up suggestions to make it better, then we take those suggestions and make the changes.

Two keys to sucess, consitency and customer satisfaction.

You also have to consider the economy in your local area. Fishing is NOT at the top of thier budget when money is tight. Especially tournaments.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

People are people, dont get mad over what they think. It may help you on the long run.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Armstrong View Post
    What is Crappie.Com about? When i registered i read everything, said it was a fun family friendly site. Well i cant see that! Here is why i say this. I love fishing more than anything, and I also have a competetive side to me. I get on here see all these Tournaments and I,m like i finally found something here but most of them are a pretty good hike for me and so i had a idea. So i tried to start my own. Bought scales, tents, created web sites, and posted tournaments on here. THE VERY FIRST ONE, I had a man get on it and tell everybody that the lake was nothing but a garhole. Had 25 calls about that tournament he posted that and had 4 boats. Next tournament, had about the same amount of calls guy post on it that the lake was nothing but short fish and junk fish, we had 4 boats. Had several folks tell me hay nobody,s gonna come to a $30 tournament theres no money its a waist of time. So I,m all about advise, so today i asked on Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi state forums who would be interested in a $250 per boat tournament. I figure if you want to fish for big money thats pretty good. Right out of the gate here comes all the complainers! Folks saying they hate tournaments, wish there weren,t any, complaining on how to catch the fish, complaining about trolling and Blah Blah Blah! Do these people do this on every page that post a tournament or just mine? Is that not what this site is for???? Or is it just to post pictures of fish or what? Cause maybe i got the wrong idea when i joined it?????
    Thomas, I wouldn't judge an entire site based on the comments of one person. This is a great site, but there's always going to be someone who rubs you the wrong way. That's life on the internet. I never considered this site Tournament driven though, but perhaps I'm just overlooking it if it is.

I'd seriously doubt one persons comments prevented a large turnout. You need to remember we're in bad economic times, and many are struggling just to keep their head above water. Having extra funds to spend on recreational activities just isn't as available as it once was, hopefully with time that will change.

I love to fish, but have never fished a Tournament, and odds are good I never will. I don't have anything against them, or those who fish them, just not my cup of tea. I would say that if I ever did, it would be one with a lower entry fee (like $20), and would be strictly for the fun of it, and knowing in advance I'd just be donating my money to the winners (same as when I play Poker Rofl).

If you like doing it, continue hosting Tournaments, but do it knowing you may never have a 100 boat turn-out. What's close for you is a "pretty good hike" for many others, so the shoe's just on the other foot.

Maybe consider catering a few to younger kids, maybe with a $10 Entry Fee, and out of that be sure every entrant "wins" something. $10 is cheap entertainment for kids, and I'm sure many parents would rather spend that and have their kids outside as opposed to thumbing a Gameboy video game to death. Sounds like it was your 1st attempt, I'm sure they'll improve, the more you have.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast