Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kayak canoe or jon boat

Post Thanks / Like

Default kayak canoe or jon boat

Hello, I am considering the purchase of a small watercraft for pond fishing and kayaks would seem to be the ticket due to their lightweight, but never having used one. I was wondering about stability. So what would be the best bet for stability while still being able to load and unload from the bed of my truck alone.

Post Thanks / Like

most yaks can be handled solo w/o much effort. I have a Wilderness Systems Pungo 120 (my 1st yak as well) and I feel it is very stable, both stationary and when moving. I can wiggle in the seat, the yak moves with me but I feel like I would really have to try to flip it over. I have not cast from mine yet, I am at the bottom of the learning curve on fishing from yaks, I have done the dock shooting method so far, and it did not affect the stability of my yak.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

A solo canoe (like a old town 119 or Mohawk Solo 13) will be lighter than a kayak and easier to handle on land. Use a kayak paddle and they will nearly the same speed. Canoe for me is easier to get in and out (sit on an elevated seat) vs sitting way down on the ground. Kayak seat is more comfortable for me to sit for a long time (low seat of canoe hurts hips and knees after several hours). Kayak does better for me in windy conditions (lower profile catches less wind). Try out a few and see what works for you. I sold my 119 canoe and my ultimate kayak to get a Jackson Coosa kayak which works very well for me. The seat of the Coosa is very comfortable and sort of combo between a kayak and canoe, plus the kayak is stable enough for me to stand up and flip bass jigs. Downside is it is pretty heavy which makes loading and unloading a chore.

Post Thanks / Like

Solo yaks are hard to knock over and a jon boat will end up spening you a good bit. Yaks are easy to get used to quick

Post Thanks / Like

Leaning towards the kayak, which ones are preferred for quality and stability without breaking the bank?
    Last edited by stanger1944; 06-03-2012 at 05:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Our Lafayette kayak dealer will take anyone to the lake to try one out. They are good for that. They also have regular demo days where they take their complete line of kayaks out to try. That was how I got my first ride and picked the Native Manta Ray that was my first. I didn't buy from them either, but later bought my Jackson Cuda there. I'm 67 and can load it on a rack on top of the truck without to much strain. It does take some getting used to, but a slight young girl at the dealer gave me pointers on how she loaded hers. I really love fishing Crappie from the yak. The kind you are looking for is called a sit-on-top. I didn't even know such existed until about 2 years ago. Great paddling and fishing fun.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bumpaw View Post
    Our Lafayette kayak dealer will take anyone to the lake to try one out. They are good for that. They also have regular demo days where they take their complete line of kayaks out to try. That was how I got my first ride and picked the Native Manta Ray that was my first. I didn't buy from them either, but later bought my Jackson Cuda there. I'm 67 and can load it on a rack on top of the truck without to much strain. It does take some getting used to, but a slight young girl at the dealer gave me pointers on how she loaded hers. I really love fishing Crappie from the yak. The kind you are looking for is called a sit-on-top. I didn't even know such existed until about 2 years ago. Great paddling and fishing fun.
    Thanks,
    There is no place around here that has demo time for kayaks. It would be nice though. Let me ask what is the advantage of the sit-on-top versus the kind you sit in? Is one more stable than the other?

Post Thanks / Like

If your into tinkering around with things to make them more comfy without the extra cost,
    this is what I did with a 13.00 lawn chair to make my Wilderness System Ride really comfy.
    I've been into kayaks for a number of years and at 70, it's where I'll keep fishin' from.
    Stability is not an issue with a Ride. Most angler kayaks are stable, but not the fastest
    way to get from point A to point B. Good Luck and the idea of tryin' out a few to find
    what you like best in the stability area is sound thinking.

Name:  kayakseat.jpg
Views: 5504
Size:  103.4 KB
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanger1944 View Post
    Hello, I am considering the purchase of a small watercraft for pond fishing and kayaks would seem to be the ticket due to their lightweight, but never having used one. I was wondering about stability. So what would be the best bet for stability while still being able to load and unload from the bed of my truck alone.
    I'd say a lot would depend on just how close/far you'll be able to get to the water. Small jon boats, 2-man pontoons both have their advantages (mostly room), but also harder to haul manually any distance, then add-in trolling motor and battery, and it becomes multiple trips, and you're worn-out before you even hit the water. Kayak carts can be purchased or made that would allow you to pull your loaded Kayak to the water in one trip.

I''ve owned everything between my 1st Kayak (recent purchase), to a couple 2 man pontoons, to jons, up to a Deep-V Tracker. I liked them all, and each had a certain place where they shined. The Tracker was more boat than I needed because I don't fish many big waters. The 2 man pontoons are nice, but got to be too much for me to handle alone. That, and the ability to take a boat with me on the road, steered me to a Kayak. It's a whole different experience for sure, and an enjoyable one.

I'm about as clumsy as they come, have a bad leg which can fold without notice, and poor balance until I get sat down, but I never felt uncomfortable on the water regarding stability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stanger1944 View Post
    Thanks,
    There is no place around here that has demo time for kayaks. It would be nice though. Let me ask what is the advantage of the sit-on-top versus the kind you sit in? Is one more stable than the other?
    Sit inside you have to pump water out. Sit on top is self bailing. Sit on top is considered a fishing kayak, but I guess there are a few who fish out of a sit inside. Myself if I flip I don't want to be hung up in the thing. Just role me out like a canoe. That's what drew me to the sit on top.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast