Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New boat docks and Crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New boat docks and Crappie?

Well,

We got moved into our NEW home the last couple days. We are 75 yrds from the lake and there are several boat slips down on the water. There are two slips still available for purchase. But the ones that are owned have no boats currently in them. The owners do not mind people who live in the area fishing the docks. My question is would a boat dock that has had not condo's dropped hold any crappie? I am still deciding on if I want to puchase a slip so I could be free to drop some condos of my own.

Thanks

Glen
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GlenC; 05-27-2006 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

They will absolutely hold crappie. The shade is what they are after and the pilings give them a reference point for structure. One of my best bragging trips; I took my dad fishing and we were floating minnows under docks. After fishing a row of older docks with visible structure and only catching a few we approached the last dock in the line, which had been built during the winter draw down. Dad said, "there aint no fish under a new dock" and being stubborn as I usually am, floated up to the dock anyway while Dad put his pole away preparing to move to another hole. I proceeded to catch 9 keeper fish from under the new dock that wasn't supposed to hold any fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar Matt
    They will absolutely hold crappie. The shade is what they are after and the pilings give them a reference point for structure. One of my best bragging trips; I took my dad fishing and we were floating minnows under docks. After fishing a row of older docks with visible structure and only catching a few we approached the last dock in the line, which had been built during the winter draw down. Dad said, "there aint no fish under a new dock" and being stubborn as I usually am, floated up to the dock anyway while Dad put his pole away preparing to move to another hole. I proceeded to catch 9 keeper fish from under the new dock that wasn't supposed to hold any fish.
    Probably the main feature was, it was the last dock before open water.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver
    Probably the main feature was, it was the last dock before open water.
    Just the opposite, it was the last dock before the water got too shallow to get the boat into. The dock itself was in about 6' of water and just past that the water went >1'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mopar Matt
    Just the opposite, it was the last dock before the water got too shallow to get the boat into. The dock itself was in about 6' of water and just past that the water went >1'.
    that is a breakline and very good structure for holding fish.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p