Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Local lake prohibits minnow buckets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Local lake prohibits minnow buckets

A Missouri department of conservation lake near me has prohibited the use of any bait held or transported in water. So I just assume that means no minnows, but I've seen minnows on others hooks. When I inquired about this, they told me the minnows were not live. My question is, how do they keep dead minnows useable for any length of time? They quickly turn mushy and fall off the hook when I tried putting them in a plastic bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Savedpaver View Post
    A Missouri department of conservation lake near me has prohibited the use of any bait held or transported in water. So I just assume that means no minnows, but I've seen minnows on others hooks. When I inquired about this, they told me the minnows were not live. My question is, how do they keep dead minnows useable for any length of time? They quickly turn mushy and fall off the hook when I tried putting them in a plastic bag.
    Maybe they keep them cold.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

No better reason to just fish jigs.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess you could put them in a zip lock bag and keep them on ice... or use jigs only.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep em in a jar of water in the cooler, keeps em cold and stiff and turn the same again when they hit the water

Post Thanks / Like

What lake is this? Missouri is getting as liberal and restrictive as California. Folks here don't realize how progressive MO laws are getting.
    The best way to get to where you want to be in the future is to act like you are there TODAY.

Post Thanks / Like

Hunnewell is a conservation lake like that! It's also a hatchery and they don't want any BAD criiters getting in the water supply ( zebra mussels, asian carp). Thats why the no live water bait rule. You can use worms, maggats,waxworms, grubs, just nothing that has to live in water.

Post Thanks / Like

In Vermont you have to have a permit for live minnows now to show they're safe for the body of water you're going to be fishing. You can also catch your own minnows in the body of water that your fishing but you can't take them anywhere else. It's a real PITA!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

QUOTE=kcbrown;1934350]What lake is this? Missouri is getting as liberal and restrictive as California. Folks here don't realize how progressive MO laws are getting.[/QUOTE]

Hunnewell lake. It has to do with trying to keep zebra mussels out of the lake. They also will not let you put your own boat in the lake but they have Jon boats you can use, trolling motors only.

Post Thanks / Like

that lake has been that way a long time,,, get you a jar of crappie nibbles, or just freeze you a bunch of minnows, they will work just fine.

mo. is also trying to ban crawdads. and I think I read on the Kansas board that you better have a reciept it you bring minnows to the lake, you have to get your minnows from a bait sales store,,, I guess they are all trying to help the fishing enviroment,,,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast