Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pulling Crankbaits in Shallow water

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling Crankbaits in Shallow water

Do You Cranking masters out there have success pulling cranks in say 6 to 8 feet of water? Do anything on black crappie at these depths as that is all I have? What kind of cranks do You use to achieve a shallow running depth but get the bait away from the boat as to not spook the fish? All advice and opinions welcome. Thanks.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

M R Dux is offline Crappie.com Legend , 2018 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

6-8 feet of water usually put me into panic mode since I normally target water 12+ feet deep when running 200 and 300 Bandits. An occasional hump or point can really be productive but dredging the bottom leads to all kinds of issues normally.

I would target shallow water (6-8) with 100s and 200s and be very particular to how much line I let the baits out on. Where I might run my 200s 90 feet back in 12', I would probably start out running them 50-60 feet back. I would also consider running drop rods with 100s carolina rigged off each side with the baits no more than 1/2 the water depth down. Get a copy of the Bandit depth chart, laminate it and keep it handy to gauge how much line you need out.

I have found if I have the need to work water that shallow, my preferred technique is long lining with Hot Grubs on 1/8 oz jigheads. The pain of hanging baits up is much less when losing a jighead and body than it is losing Bandits.
    www.crappie-gills-n-more.com
    Podunk Ideas Pro Staff /test platform
    PICO Lures Field Rep
    Excel Boats Pro Staff

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Woodsgoat slaughterer .... I don't troll much of anything, least of all crankbaits, but have you considered using the more shallow running (short/square lipped) cranks for your shallow waters ?? Or you could use some short jerkbait style cranks (long skinny ones). Or, if you don't have any of either of those, but still want to use deep diver cranks ... use the trolling motor on a low speed !!

Personally .... I'd opt to drag some (marabou) Roadrunners, and use the trolling motor to troll with. A buck & a quarter Roadrunner loss is much less painful than a $5 crankbait loss.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

In the shallow water I would stick with a larger jig or some type of swimbait. Hard to find cranks that will run this shallow and be productive in my opinion. 10' is about as shallow as I will go.
    Scott Echols
    Hi-Tek Stuff
    Crazy Angler Tackle

Post Thanks / Like

+1 on the jigs, you can double up 2 jigs per line and would be an easier trip thru the shallows.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If youre gonna pull jigs in water 6'-8' deep and want them way away from the boat I'd pull 1/32nds. They should be running close to 5' deep if running .8 mph. To go to heavier jigs in that shallow of water you cant cast out as far or you'd have to run a faster speed. Me, personally, I'd pull 1/16ths about 6' deep with the jigs out about 3/4 of a full cast (normally runs about 8' deep on a full cast) and speed up to 1.0 mph if I noticed them dragging bottom.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to find cranks that will run this shallow and be productive in my opinion. 10' is about as shallow as I will go.
    In most places I fish, the water is never more than 10 feet. It must be nice. I pull cranks regular in the summer. 200's thirty feet behind the boat. Just fast enough to see the rod tips quiver from the crankbait action. The trolling motor doesn't spook them.
    Randy Andres

Post Thanks / Like

100,200's are you best for shallow running, good luck

Post Thanks / Like

we pull in 6-8 around here--100, 200 for sure. not sure about the black crappie though but if that is all that is around Im sure you could catch em.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=crappiepappy;1933312]Hey Woodsgoat slaughterer .... I don't troll much of anything, least of all crankbaits, but have you considered using the more shallow running (short/square lipped) cranks for your shallow waters ?? Or you could use some short jerkbait style cranks (long skinny ones). Or, if you don't have any of either of those, but still want to use deep diver cranks ... use the trolling motor on a low speed !!

Personally .... I'd opt to drag some (marabou) Roadrunners, and use the trolling motor to troll with. A buck & a quarter Roadrunner loss is much less painful than a $5 crankbait loss.

Yeah Pap, I see Your point and I make my own pony heads so really only cost me about 25 cents to make them. I don't know though. I have always like trolling a crank for stripers and those crankbaits they have out for crappie now are awfully tempting. I have tried it a couple times with not much success but have not given it a fair shot.CF
    The Original Woodsgoat Hater
    2011 NWR Bash Yellow Perch Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast