Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hooking minnows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hooking minnows

Hey guys, I really appreciate all the info that I am getting from this site, a great bunch of very knowledgable people on here... where do you hook your shiners, In the lip, mouth, or back... and why....

Post Thanks / Like

Some people will call me crazy but I hook mine thru the back. They seem to stay alive longer and they don't come off the hook as much when you cast.

Just my $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

I hook mine through the eyes. They seem to have more movement and they stay alive longer than if you hook them through the lips.
    Tight Lines!
    Jason Piper

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Depends ....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow
    Hey guys, I really appreciate all the info that I am getting from this site, a great bunch of very knowledgable people on here... where do you hook your shiners, In the lip, mouth, or back... and why....
    on how I'm fishing them.

On a jig : under the chin and out between the nostrils, if casting -- in the mouth and out thru the neck, if trolling
    On a hook : thru the eye socket (behind the eyes - leaving eyes intact) usually ... and, only occasionally thru the back, just below the dorsal fin.

Why ? Good question .... I learned, starting out, to hook them thru the back. My Grandparents taught me how. But, over the years and thru many different situations & methods used ... I found that "back hooking" usually meant a lost minnow, if you set the hook & missed. And they are much too easy to sling off, if back hooked, when casting. Also, when drifting or trolling, a back hooked minnow doesn't look natural (bent in a U shape). I've also learned that a Bluegill, or other "sunfish", can grab a minnow by the head and rip it off the hook quite easily ... if hooked thru the back. When the minnow is hooked thru the eye socket ... they tend to go for the throat & gills. They will eventually kill the minnow ... but, between their attacks, Crappie have a chance to hit the injured minnow.

Having learned to use jigs, in place of minnows, I seldom use minnows .... but, if/when I do ... these are the hooking methods I use. ....... cp

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I mainly night stalk. My eyes being not what they once was I'll hook them alot of ways....thru the back, thru the eyes, from underneath the bottom jaw upwards thru the nostrils, thru the lips, etc. Reason being as I grab one out of the net and how the minnow is in my hand. I hook 'em whatever is easy at that time with that minnow and hook.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

thats what i call a honest and good answer gabowman
    [never snap at the hand that feeds ya

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the answers, I just wanted some other views on what yall thought... I usually hook in the back, but i think i may try the eyes, it makes a lot of sense.....

Post Thanks / Like

I usually hook under the mouth through the mouth area and between the eyes. Reason: I have found if I have to make a fast retrieve for any reason the minnow has a better chance staying alive by not making it pull against a body part. Also if I slow retrieve it has a more natural look.

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default hook'n minnows ?

I don't use them anymore, don't need to.:D Till they stop making jigs anyway. Those minners are a pain in the arse! They cost 12.00 a pound locally , hard to keep in hot weather , and always have'n to stop and bait a hook.:rolleyes: Oh ! Now I remember what you asked . Back in my trolling days we hooked them through the eyes or lips to make them swim straight. I was always told that fish feed on bait head first ,because some bait fish have sharp spines that fold back towards the tail.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it makes much difference how you hook them but i usually hook them through the eyes.
    motor

"Just an ole sinner saved by grace."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast