Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jig Head...Which do you use...

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Jig Head...Which do you use...

just wondering what kind of jig heads ya'll use... Insert type, or exposed head.. what colors, and what weight lead....which for slip corkin' and which for casting or vertical jigging..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jigheads

I mold mine. I use 1/32oz most of the time and 1/16oz in current or deep fishing. Exposed, unpainted-"minnow head" jigs. Mostly for vertical jigging, but also for some casting. I buy some painted jigs at Wally World, mostly in chart or orange, either of the above sizes.
    Catch and Release: Catch the slabs and Release the little'uns

Post Thanks / Like

Inormally go with either a round head or horse head 1/32 or 1/16 oz. As for color I use 5. Black, white, hot pink, blaze orange, or charteuse. If I am using a slip float I'll use 1 or 2 1/32 or 1/16 ox round head. IF I am casting or fishing vertical I'll use either horsehead or roundhead.
    "If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I like using 1/32 - 1/16 round head. Painted, unpainted, Lately I have been using 1/8 so I can cast further. ( shore fishin ) I have also used inset jig heads, with tubes. same wt.

Gonefission
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 1/4 oz. jig heads from Bighead Jigs. They have a smaller #4 hook instead of the bigger hooks normally found on 1/4 oz. heads. I use them from 5 feet deep on down to 15 or 20 feet deep.

I have jigged brushpiles 15 feet deep while bouncing around in small white caps and maintained excellent contact with my jig and the brush. I believe due to the extra weight I also can feel the "thump" better when the crappie inhale the jig.

Their website is http://www.bigheadjigs.com

For cork and jig fishing I use a 1/32 oz. jig under a small foam cork. When it hits the water it takes a few seconds before the jig sinks enough to turn the cork upright. If a crappie takes any weight at all off of the cork it will lay over on it's side. We catch just as many this way as we do by them pulling the cork under.
    Last edited by slabbandit; 05-28-2006 at 07:09 PM.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 95% of the time ...

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow
    just wondering what kind of jig heads ya'll use... Insert type, or exposed head.. what colors, and what weight lead....which for slip corkin' and which for casting or vertical jigging..
    I'm using these:

These are P&S Custom Tackle weedless jigheads. The bottom jighead has a V shaped plastic "wing" style weed guard .... the top has the more familiar "brush" style fiber strands. (it also comes in black fibers)
    The only time I'm not using these ... is when I'm throwing a Roadrunner, Float'n'fly casting, or flatline trolling in open water.
    Weights most often used - 1/32 & 1/16oz
    Jigheads used for casting plastic tubes/grubs are mostly unpainted ball head ... hair/feather dressed jig heads are mostly chartreuse or red in color.

My fishing partner uses these :

(and I've got a stock of them, too) I used to use these, but preferred the V-Wing weedless style. Once I found a custom jigmaker, that could produce the V-Wing jigheads, I put my Oldham's jigheads into "backup stock" mode. My partner still uses them, and with good results. ........ cp

Post Thanks / Like

I hand tie mine and this is what the look like. Also I do use more colors, this is just the last pic I took.
    Attachment 5507
    Last edited by skiptomylu; 12-17-2008 at 11:21 AM.

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Default plain unpainted 1/8 oz round headed jigs.

I use the same one almost exclusively. I push it into an Umbrella tube (large tube bait) That leadhead pushes out the sides and makes it appear even fatter. Only other size is 1/4 oz when fishing high wind or extemely deep. Then it will not fit inside , put it on from the hook end leadhead exposed.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks I usually fish a 1/32 ounce unpainted exposed head.. CP I really like those weedless custom heads... they are just what I need, I cant find that kind anywhere I shop.. I might have to order some....

those are some really nice custom jigs skiptomylu

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I think you'll really like them, BW ....

Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow
    Thanks I usually fish a 1/32 ounce unpainted exposed head.. CP I really like those weedless custom heads... they are just what I need, I cant find that kind anywhere I shop.. I might have to order some....

those are some really nice custom jigs skiptomylu

contact my friend, Paul Mullins, and tell him what you're looking for .... I'm pretty sure he can fix you up. He's easily reachable by email : [email protected] Tell him I sent you, or refer him to this post. If you want to call him : 606-642-3167 (Southeastern KY)

The Oldham's can be purchased, if you're interested in them, by calling the toll free number :1-800-596-2436 and ask for Terry Oldham. Be sure and ask about "Surelock Weedless Crappie Jigs" (the ones pictured) .... as he does have another version called "Speedloader" (totally different shape). The Surelock only comes in 1/16oz. The Speedloader comes in 1/32 & 1/16oz ... but is "club" shaped (and therefore is not as functional with tubes & grubs, as is the Surelock). They are, however, pretty decent live bait jigheads. .......... cp

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast