Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need very little tackle fishing for crappie and other species

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need very little tackle fishing for crappie and other species

I've been slamming panfish since the beginning of spring and have discovered that though it's nice to have a ton of different lure types and colors and jigs of different sizes, few will do 99% of the time.
    A recent discovery involves using a Slider grub body and replacing the tail with a tube skirt strand, melting both together with a candle flame. I call it my rat tail slider grub. Used with a 1/16 or 1/32 oz unpainted jighead on 4-6 # test mono, it catches all species in the lake. Black, chartreuse or clear with silver flakes are all the body/tail colors I need.

I've also attached a curly tail to the Slider body for a slower moving bait and did as well since the Slider tail just doesn't do it for me.

My light action 6' spinning rod is also one I don't need to vary with other rods except an 8' fly rod I use to dip the grubs in lily pads 270 degrees around the boat. When fish are not in open water or over bare hard pack bottoms, the pads are the place to try. Again, 6# test is more than adequate.

My lure box is small and my jig box keeps the sizes separated by inserting a group into foam rubber.
    The sizes I always take are 1/16 oz in #4 and #6; 1/32 oz in #4,#6,#8; and 1/64 oz in #6; barbless and never painted.

The last thing I need are confusing options other than active fish locations.

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you've got a choke hold on your "Bait Monkey" Rofl .... good for you :Hands Clapping

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spoonminnow View Post
    The last thing I need are confusing options other than active fish locations.
    Agreed. The baits I use during a day will fit in my pocket. I caught an episode of G3 Fisherman over the weekend, and they were making the same point about crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

I have noticed I use only a few colors, but still carry the wide assortment, need to cut it down, but just haven't yet. some have never been used more than one time.
    GO BIG ORANGE !

I meant to behave, but there were just way too many other options available at the time.

Post Thanks / Like

I carry my big tackle box with all my bass lures and everything in it....you never know when you might want to use one? :D

Post Thanks / Like

Same here .. Tackle box with every jig and color and style in the rainbow . But always put fish in the boat with the same ole colors and jigs ... I do venture out sometimes and try other things ...
    Kind of like women . Lol but always go home to the same thing .
    Just kidding !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thats one thing I really like about crappie fishing. I could truly get by with two 3700 Plano boxes of jigs and skirts and two poles, one casting and one jig pole. I carry more than that with me but only use a small percentage of it on a regular basis.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

So....since most of you guys dont NEED the rest of your tackle then send me a list of all the different colors of curlytails and jigheads you have and I'm sure I can take most off your hands. I use a bunch of colors (longlining) and change 'em out to see if other colors might be better.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be the poster child for gear. At one time I had 7-8 of the biggest tackle boxes filled to the brim. 40-50 poles with reels, etc. Figured out that all the "stuff" didn't make the trip any more enjoyable. Since then I have scaled back not only my fishing tackle but everything in my life. My life is a lot simpler, more satisfying, and peacefull. I wish I had figured this out 40 years ago, I wasted a lot of time and money trying to upgrade to the latest and greatest.

Post Thanks / Like

I carry my big tackle box because I need the exercise. My fishing buddy caries his tackle box; but, almost always uses a black rooster tail with gold spinner.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast