Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Are most of you fly fishing??

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are most of you fly fishing??

I see a lot of you guys make jigs and small lures and such and have to wonder if the crappie world is mostly based around fly fishing or are you guys using crappie rod and reel setups? I am obviously new to crappie fishing so I am wondering what type of setups you guys are using to throw these jigs and such. Thanks a lot.

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the boards GrantH. People use various styles of fishing to catch crappie. Some dip trees with long poles and minnows/jigs. Other's spider rig or longline troll (do some searches and you'll find plenty of info about those styles), drifting using minnows, cork and jig throwing to the banks, and yes....even some fly fishing for crappies. Lots of people enjoy tying their own jigs and get a self satisfaction on catching fish using their own jigs. Some buy plastic curly tail grubs to put on jigheads. There are just sooooo many ways a person can fish and be successful in catching the papermouths. There's no set way that you HAVE TO use to catch 'em. There is bunches of information you can learn from these boards by doing alot of reading, searching, and asking questions...and then putting the info to use out on the lake. Enjoy the boards and welcome from GEORGIA.Thumbs Up
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

I've wanted to get into lure making since I got more serious about fishing but didn't want to jump into fly fishing, which is the reason I ask. Are these small jigs able to be casted with a rod and reel combo aside from a fly setup? Sorry for the basic questions, I am reading and learning as I go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrantH View Post
    Are these small jigs able to be casted with a rod and reel combo aside from a fly setup?
    Absolutely. UL spinning tackle works great.

To your original question, there aren't a lot of people who fly fish for crappie.