Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Depth finder question... peak to peak watts???

Post Thanks / Like

Question Depth finder question... peak to peak watts???

I know the subject of depth finders has beeen discussed many times here, but anyone know anything about the peak to peak watts number in depth finders. Looks like more watts usually means more money, but what does peak to peak watts measure? I know it is some kind of power measure, but do I need more watts for just 'ordinary' fishing and locating structure. What would be the minimum watts anyone who uses them would recommend?
    Any depth finder/sonar gurus out there that can shed some light on this?
    Thanks

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duke
    I know the subject of depth finders has beeen discussed many times here, but anyone know anything about the peak to peak watts number in depth finders. Looks like more watts usually means more money, but what does peak to peak watts measure? I know it is some kind of power measure, but do I need more watts for just 'ordinary' fishing and locating structure. What would be the minimum watts anyone who uses them would recommend?
    Any depth finder/sonar gurus out there that can shed some light on this?
    Thanks
    Peak to peak watts RMS (rout mean square) us just a way of expressing the power of the unit (sine wave). Unless you are fishing in the ocean and need very deep coverage, you do not need the high power units. For instance, I have a Lowrance X125 on my bow and it is rated at 2400 watts. This is more than enough power to see everything on the bottom. A higher pixle count is more important as it will give you better resolution.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Peak to Peak is just a term defining the voltage swing from the peak positive power to the peak negative power.

Basically, here is what you really need to know ...

If you are fishing shallower water - go for lower power and higher frequency.

If you are fishing deeper water - go for higher power and lower frequency.

One thing you should consider too ... transducer cone width - 20 and/or 60 degrees. Obviously, the wider cone gives you three times the coverage - very useful in shallow water and even useful in wide scans of deeper bodies.

A more obvious issue is screen resolution ... pay attention to that, details are much easier to decipher on a good display.

One additional item ... pings, or soundings, per second. This generally overlooked detail can actually make a difference between a good SONAR unit and a fantastic one.

Hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys...as usual, lots of good info available here...and lots of good people that will share it with you!!!