PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else had Snake problems when night fishing?

tenncrappie
05-26-2012, 09:02 PM
Me and Sailfishing went last evening and there was another Group in 3 different boats showed up and anchored bout 25 yds from us. Sometime after midnight there was one heck of a racket over there and we thought they were in a fight. Come to find out a snake had crawled in the middle boat of the three. I'm 59 yrs old and never had this happen before.

"G"
05-26-2012, 09:11 PM
Heck....I have seen them get in boats in the daytime too.

arkcrappie
05-26-2012, 09:14 PM
I've had a couple in the boat with me as well. The snake just has to understand that there is not enough room in my boat for me and him both!!

M R Dux
05-26-2012, 09:17 PM
If 3 different boats anchored off that close to me, I'd be looking for a snake to put in them.

Spawn
05-26-2012, 09:28 PM
The boat must have been low to the water cause they cant normally swim in, it must have been in the boat like under a seat or something before they got in to go fishing

Donald@CrappieLogic
05-26-2012, 09:32 PM
The boat must have been low to the water cause they cant normally swim in, it must have been in the boat like under a seat or something before they got in to go fishing?

arkcrappie
05-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I got 'em in the boat with me while I was froggin. Go figure! Rofl

Spawn
05-26-2012, 09:45 PM
the boats have some slick metal. Have you ever seen a snake climb a wall ? Its impossible for them to. Not saying it can happen, it could easily climb up the mottor or rope if it was anchored lol expecally trees! They hang in them like monkeys

Donald@CrappieLogic
05-26-2012, 09:49 PM
i have seen them slither up poles to get to duck box's on the river for there eggs and have had them in the boat with more time's than I care to talk about lol

FIN
05-26-2012, 11:02 PM
It depends on the snakes size!
One day while fishing a large moccasin swam up to a
Tree reached straight up out of the water
2 feet and wrapped itself around a limb.
It was sobering.
Fin

Hanr3
05-27-2012, 07:57 AM
I saw two in the lake, and found one in my garage last week. Did the mild winter bring out more snakes than usual this year.

This does bring up a good question, how would you get a snake out of your boat?

"G"
05-27-2012, 08:04 AM
The boat must have been low to the water cause they cant normally swim in, it must have been in the boat like under a seat or something before they got in to go fishing

they can easily crawl up the anchor rope

wilbur
05-27-2012, 08:53 AM
I saw two in the lake, and found one in my garage last week. Did the mild winter bring out more snakes than usual this year.

Choot it.

"G"
05-27-2012, 09:26 AM

very carefully, lol knock them in the head with a boat paddle then toss them out.

olduckhunter
05-27-2012, 09:33 AM
It depends on the snakes size!
One day while fishing a large moccasin swam up to a
Tree reached straight up out of the water
2 feet and wrapped itself around a limb.
It was sobering.
Fin

exactly. a cottonmouth will most times when swimming in the water have it's head out of the water. and a rattlesnake the same and yes, i've seen a timber rattler swimming holding it's head up out of the water and it's rattles straight up out of the water swimming on top of the water just like a cottonmouth does. a snake can raise it's self up probably half it's length or more straight up whether on land or in the water so it would be easy for one to "climb" into a jon boat. and climbing a wall? you bet they can and will. i watched a cottonmouth last year on one of the bays here swimming and it would stop at each tree and raise up a foot like it was scenting or maybe testing for the heat of something up that tree. it did that at every tree it passed. i hate snakes.

HatchieLuvr
05-27-2012, 09:38 AM
I don't fear snakes, I let "Da Judge" deal with em!!! Thumbs Up

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/RedAllison/photobucket-1775-1337290325816.jpg

SLIPSHUCK1
05-27-2012, 11:03 AM
they
exactly. a cottonmouth will most times when swimming in the water have it's head out of the water. and a rattlesnake the same and yes, i've seen a timber rattler swimming holding it's head up out of the water and it's rattles straight up out of the water swimming on top of the water just like a cottonmouth does. a snake can raise it's self up probably half it's length or more straight up whether on land or in the water so it would be easy for one to "climb" into a jon boat. and climbing a wall? you bet they can and will. i watched a cottonmouth last year on one of the bays here swimming and it would stop at each tree and raise up a foot like it was scenting or maybe testing for the heat of something up that tree. it did that at every tree it passed. i hate snakes.
They are all cottonmouths and rattlesnakes to me!!!!!!!

bee
05-27-2012, 01:31 PM
No such problems here in the north country

G.Gordon
05-27-2012, 01:50 PM
Snakes can easily get into a boat that has 1.5-2.5' sides. It does not need traction on the side, it sort of "stands" on the water quickly hooking it's head and upper body on the side, then it is simply a matter of seconds and it is in.

TN. WATERSHED
05-28-2012, 12:23 AM

seen a rattle snake swim like that last year head out and rattlers sticking up out of the water.

BULLFROG-1
05-28-2012, 12:54 AM
:yikes

NIMROD
05-28-2012, 06:41 AM
Here most snakes in the water are just Northern Banded Water snakes. They are non poisionous snakes but folks usually call em Moccossins and kill them. We don't have many Cotton Mouth Water Moccossins. Sometimes lights draw snakes. One easy way to tell them apart besides snake shape and color . Water snakes swim with head only above water, Cotton Mouth Water Moccossins usually float on top of the water.