Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Is the paper like the weather man (FOC)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is the paper like the weather man (FOC)

Last week the paper said they were spawning at smithville and now this week they say burtons say's there on the banks. Last week was a lie is this week the same. What's a fisherman to do? (a crappie fisherman) you know the real kid of fisherman.

Post Thanks / Like

Default On the banks one day, gone the next

They have been hit and miss on the banks. Try a little deeper (10-15 foot) away the banks. That is where the females seem to be. However, they were there on Monday, gone on Wednesday. I am heading out in the morning and hoping I can find them.
    When in doubt, set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

hey bm...be sure to give us a report. i'll do the same.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

SlabSeekerKC Guest

well I went out this morning and might as well have stayed in bed. Got out a little after six and stayed till about 10:30. Fished the same cove I always fish south of w highway bridge and caught about 20 fish and only one keeper. Some were right on the bank and some out in about 8 feet of water. I am about to give up as this has been the worst spawn I have seen in a long time. I need to learn the lake better so I have more than just a couple of spots I suppose. One guy I talked to this morning said Burtons told him they were on the banks up north on the river. Man that is one run that scares the hell outta me and my prop!!! Good luck everyone!
    Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Friday's report

I did go out Friday morning with my fishing partner plus his 2 daughters. We were hoping to get them on some fish with a bobber and minnow. We were wrong as only 1 daughter caught a fish. We only had 7 keepers between the 2 of us. I am so frustrated right now with the lake but I am sure I will head back on Tuesday when I get back in KC. We were up north again, tried shallow, deeper water, etc. They are so sporadic, it is pathetic. Some are caught next to timber, some are in open water. It is so hit and miss. No pattern at all.

I am ready for the whites to start schooling and catch some of those fighter fish. If you cut out the red meat, they eat the same as crappie.
    When in doubt, set the hook.

Post Thanks / Like

Going in the morning... if the gale warning flags aren't flying... Probably won't get on the water before 8:30... stayed up too late... Guess I'll try it like pre-spawn... 4-6' down along timbered creek channels that swing near the banks.
    Hmm... might try the spot on Rock Creek where I saw Moffitt cleaning up a couple weeks ago... shaded, sheltered and near deep water... and fished by nearly everyone! Oh well, a couple hours on the lake is better than a couple days wishing you were on the lake.

Post Thanks / Like

I got one more 12-14 hour day before I can get back out.Drove by the lake on the way home sunday,nope,I ain't wishing I was out there.Gale winds and crowds.
    Both a park ranger and MDC agent were parked 1/4 from the free ramp doing survilence,they had binocs. the size of a small microwave!! Gadzooks.
    Ya'll be safe out there.

As far as the spawn,well,like said before,its based on water temp.April was warm,May a lot cooler.Think is was spread out over 45 days,there wasn't a single week where 95% spawned.More like5% a week over 60 days.Just a guess.

As far as Burtons report.If 100 boats are out,and 5 boats find fish,they may stop and tell Natalie or other fishermen,the other 95 boats will just pack it up and go home.So they hear the good reports.I believe the star just reprints the state report that comes out on Thur..which in turn gets it from burtons.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from Smithville... fished from 7:30 to 10... all in Roberts Branch.
    Only my 2nd time there so spent half the time exploring. Water temps 74 in the coves. Saw a couple of big crappie jump in shallow water and another just off a windy point. Only caught a couple of dinks. Like Roberts branch.
    Tons of stumps, creek channels with big flats on one side and rocky bluffs on the other. Gotta be some big ones lurking there... gotta be... maybe?