Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boating Ramp Etiquette

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boating Ramp Etiquette

I know from time to time there can be some down right bad mannered people at the boating ramps,especially on busy weekends like this weekend coming up.Last year,I was in line for over 2 hours trying to get launched.One family had a trailering problem on the ramp tying up 2 of the 3 ramps.They were one of the first trailers there that morning,they backed up and one of their rollers broke off their trailer preventing it from being totally unloaded.I was 11th in line.They had almost everyone in front of me cussin' them out.You could tell they were inexperienced,and probably only got out once a year.I know they were embarrassed about their screw up,as would I if it had happened to me.

You would think someone out there would do a video on how to properly load and unload a boat.Probably checking out all your equipment before your boat leaves the garage should be applied also,but as we know...$h*t happens.

I also saw 3 guys duking it out over ramp rudeness about 6 years ago.

What have you come across while at the ramps?
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

For the most part it goes pretty smooth around here. You do get a few that are new to it and don't have a clue, but we try to be nice to them too. If someone happens to break down like the folks you talked about then I try to help them.
    Etiquette goes both ways. Those folks that get mad because someone spends an extra 2 minutes getting the boat unstrapped should head back to the house. Normally they are the crybaby type that won't have fun in the first place and then they try to ruin the day for everyone else they come in contact with.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SwampHunter
    For the most part it goes pretty smooth around here. You do get a few that are new to it and don't have a clue, but we try to be nice to them too. If someone happens to break down like the folks you talked about then I try to help them.
    Etiquette goes both ways. Those folks that get mad because someone spends an extra 2 minutes getting the boat unstrapped should head back to the house. Normally they are the crybaby type that won't have fun in the first place and then they try to ruin the day for everyone else they come in contact with.
    WELL SAID SWAMPHUNTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Patience: The capacity of calm endurance. We are out there to relax right!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by REDBOAT
    Patience: The capacity of calm endurance. We are out there to relax right!?
    Yep, and have fun. Never had fun when I was always mad at the world for not being ablle to luanch right when I pull up. Having patience and helping out and not becoming part of the problem goes along ways to having fun.
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I agree,that it's best to help out to keep the ramp moving,however you are bound to get hung up somewhere along the line.Some people wait till they launch to load their boat with their stuff from their vehicles.They should have done that while waiting their turn.The average time to load/unload a boat is around 5-10 minutes...but as we all know,it's more like 10-15 or longer.Car/top style boats are still popular up in Minnesota.
    CrappieMagnet

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieMagnet
    Hey I agree,that it's best to help out to keep the ramp moving,however you are bound to get hung up somewhere along the line.Some people wait till they launch to load their boat with their stuff from their vehicles.They should have done that while waiting their turn.The average time to load/unload a boat is around 5-10 minutes...but as we all know,it's more like 10-15 or longer.Car/top style boats are still popular up in Minnesota.

And the veteran boaters know this too. You either get ma about it, change your luanching times, don't go or just accept it and enjoy the day. :D
    Let Em' Land!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

was fishing tenn-tom last sunday. i got back to the ramp, ready to load up and go home. the ramp is a two holer with tie-up piers on both sides. i pulled up to the outside of the pier and tied up, got on the pier and walked up to my truck. while i was backing down the ramp, some kids pulled up to the ramp on a pontoon. put the bow of the boat right up on the ramp that i was backing down. i noticed one kid, about l6 years old, give me the bird. i didn't say anything. i had room to put my trailer in the water. i got out of my truck with my trusty cane and proceeded down the pier to my boat. pontoon still in the way. as i approached the pontoon with my cane, the kid said,' we'll be out of your way in a minute, sir". he even offered to help me get my boat on the trailer. i guess people do have a conscience after all. catch a lot of crappie!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be very anal about having to wait for some one at the ramp who was inexperienced or moving awful slow. I always got my boat ready off the ramp never made any one wait for me and expected the same from everyone else. I pulled a trailer regular during the week and could back up or down any thing with just a glimpse of a mirror until.... an incident with a boat trailer with a bent tongue that taught me that sometimes the harder you try to hurry the worse it gets. Talk about embarrassed finally had to launch in the middle just to get out of the way. To top it off some of the guys that I normally fish with were behind me and saw the whole scene, anyway now I just try to assume that they are having a worse day than me and need a little space, this is the guy that really needs to unwind. I still hate to see someone being rude but as long as they are not loading a jet ski I try to stay out of their hair.

Rod

Post Thanks / Like

The ramp we use will be nuts this weekend with a wait of 1 - 2 hours in and out at times. We just try to have a good time waiting to get on the water and help out where we can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast