Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: small white crappie

Post Thanks / Like

Default small white crappie

Hello I have started fishing a new lake and have caught about 75 small white crappie and no sign of any slabs on my depth finder... They all are on the bed still. It's an impondment of the Green river the surface temp. is 70-73 degrees and the rivers temp is 60-65. We also are the home of the state record Musky. Could that be the reason. All the fish seem to be closer to the river were the water is stained. Down the lake the water clears up and I seem to not catch anything down by the dam. Has anyone dealt with anything like this ?
    Last edited by CrappiePappy; 05-27-2012 at 07:01 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Small ones on bed are usually the males. The females generally come in spawn then go back to deeper water. I would try the deeper water close to where your males are at on beds

Post Thanks / Like

Try to find drop offs or deep timber as well, bowhunters got it

Post Thanks / Like

The 5, I kept and cleaned were half male/female...and there's a blue million of them. I'll try the deeper water, @ the drop off. thank you.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

It may also be that the larger fish have already come & gone, and the younger generation is taking their turn. If they're White Crappie, they will generally pick stained water over clear water.

Don't worry about the Muskie ... we've got two bodies of water that are great Muskie lakes, and the Crappie fishing is just fine on them. If there's a "blue million" small Crappie in your waters, it's obvious that the Muskie aren't the problem.

... cp

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from GEORGIA.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Good advice so far! I agree with the others.