Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing Crappies at Night with a Light for Attraction.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Crappies at Night with a Light for Attraction.

Has anyone out there ever fished crappies using the floating spotlights or submergible led lights? I see there are numerous types of lights sold for this exact purpose. I'd like to find anyone that may have done this and would be willing to steer me in the right direction. I'm trying to avoid all the summer boat traffic on the lake near my home in southern Wisconsin by fishing at night. In the daytime during the summer months, the lake is a madhouse with all the Jet Ski's and Water Skiers! I have a boat and plenty of time on my hands, it's just knowing where to start. Over weeds? Deep weed edge? Look for them suspended? The lake gets pretty deep for it's size. It's about 5 miles long, by 3 miles wide, and 60 max depth. If anyone has any pointers or is willing to share any helpful hints, I'd really appreciate it. The water is just hitting 70 as of yesterday so I figure the Crappies will be moving into deeper water very soon. Thanks for reading this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I am new at night fishing with a light for crappie but we went last weekend. I just got a led reel lite 714 and it is very bright and seems to be very well made. We were fishing almost the same way as we do in the daytime. We anchored under a bridge hung the light about a foot or two under the surface right over the side of the boat and vertical jigged different depth till we found them. Seemed to be around 7 to 8 feet deep over 17ft of water. ( Not much different for daylight pattern this time of year here )
    It didn't take long after the light hit the water to start catching fish.

I would recommend a reel lite from Bob, stand up guy and excellent product. Anchor in an area close to where you usually catch fish and go from there. Tons of enough to be found by doing a search on here as well.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep.....you can't beat a Reel-Lite. I usually suspend mine about 5 ft. deep then fish around the edge of the light ring. I usually anchor and set up either in the mouth of a cove or just off of a point where it drops off into deeper water.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

Post Thanks / Like

Many of us here do that and a search will show lots of post I think. Also in the articles there are some about this!

I have night fished for years!

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

This article, written by one of the SC forum members, Rango, is the best I've seen on the subject.

http://www.crappie.com/rango/index.htm

Hope it helps, and good luck.
    SeaRay
    Mark 1:17 ...I will make you fishers of men

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Look in the Archives....night fishing 101
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep