Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone tried 'Ugly Stick Lite' ultralight rods?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone tried 'Ugly Stick Lite' ultralight rods?

Hi,

I have been looking for a dedicated 'bobber' rod (7 footer) to keep on hand in my kayak. The only 7' model I can find at a reasonable price is the Ugly Stick Lite model. $39 aint bad. Anyone have experience with this stick?

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

You might as well step up a few bucks to the St Croix Triumph or the Fenwick Eagle. You fish them side by side with the Ugly Stick and you will never pick up the Ugly Stick again.

But if what you really need is a kicking around rod check out the Bass Pro Microlight or the Eagle Claw Featherlight (they actually look like the same rod, one just a private label of the other?) provided you are looking for a very light action rod. The fiberglass will take more rough handling than a graphite one, and the price for these is half of what you would put out for an Ugly Stick. I use a 5 1/2' Featherlight as a light weight bobber rod myself. You can also get the BP Microlight in a graphite for about the same money as the Ugly Stick with the much faster action that graphite enables.

Disclaimer: I don't like me no Ugly Sticks. I think they are heavy, clumsy, and have "sloppy" action with damped down sensitivity.

Post Thanks / Like

I have an eagle claw light action 7' rod that I think is good for the price.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use the ugly sticks but there are alot better rods out there in that price range. I myself would look at the bass pro micro lite rods if I was looking for a 7ft in that price range. While the ugly stick is durable it can get heavy at times and overall the micro lite would be a much better rod. Thats my 2 cents... And for the record I've probably owned 6 or 7 ugly sticks from when I first started trout fishing but now all they do is collect dust!

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for the graphite BP Microlite.

Post Thanks / Like

Have one but haven't fished it yet, mine was only $25. I still really like the old BPS ProComp II rods, I really wish I had bought more before they phased them out. Only other new rod I have is a Zebco Indistructable 7Ft light action that I haven't got to fish yet but my nephew has one and he beats the heck out of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat a BPS Micro Lite rod for the price.
    "A voyage in search of knowledge need never abandon the spirit of adventure."

Post Thanks / Like

I'd stick with the Ugly Stik Lite's. I have 4 of them in the 7' length and they're good all-around rods. TOugh as nails and sensitive enough to not rip a hook out of the fish's mouth when setting the hook on a float from 20 yards away. I use mine from longlining jigs, vertical jigging to float fishing. Just a good all-around rod for less than $40. You can find them at Walmart labelled as Ugly Stik Lite Pro with a different handle for $5-10 cheaper-it's the exact same rod blank. Good fishing.

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a few Ugly Lite rods and they work well. I have a few B-n-M rods and they are awesome.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I like my St. Croix, my Ugly Stick UL, my B n M, and my BP micro lite.........cause
    the fish I catch just want the Bobby Garland "electric chicken". Go with what feels
    good fightin' that crappie. I get tired, I change rods since I carry several, but fish
    with only one at a time. But, that's just the way I am.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast