Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new rod I can use to hold spinners in fast river current for trout!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for a new rod I can use to hold spinners in fast river current for trout!

I bought a rod for crappie fishing last year that was a 7ft Medium Light I think its a crappie max rod. It has good feel for bites when I'm using bait but the tip is to light for holding a 1/4 oz to 1/8 oz spinner in heavy current. I would like to find something in the 7ft range that might have enough tip to feel a bite on a night crawler but be stiff enough to hold the lure without bending the tip of my rod. I am fishing for larger trout in the 15" and up range. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I think I'm possibly looking for Medium action rod or a stiffer Medium Light.

Thanks,

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

only thing I could think of would have to be a ugly stick for current that rough. its hard to feel bite and the rod to be stout enough to sit in the current

Post Thanks / Like

Your action weight is probably ok, but the action of the IM6 rod for crappie is probably too slow. A faster action with a higher degree of graphite is more likely what you are looking for and the price is going to go up. Rather than looking at crappie rods you might be better off looking at the lighter action steelhead rods in IM7 or better.

Post Thanks / Like

What's your budget?

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want to really go over $100 maybe $150 at tops... Any suggestions? :D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaCrappieMan View Post
    I wouldn't want to really go over $100 maybe $150 at tops... Any suggestions? :D
    Take a look at these and see if there's anything you like.

St. Croix Premier
    Bass Pro Extreme
    Shimano Compre
    Cabela's Fish Eagle II

I agree with no1son that a light steelhead rod might be perfect for what you want to do.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...AL%3BIK-128664 What about this fenwick? So I need to look for an extra fast tip? Okay, I'll check those out deathb4disco... Thank you... All the steelhead rods I'm seeing are 9ft plus and I've never went that long before. I am used to the 7ft maybe a 7ft6inch or possibly an 8ft would fit me better...

-Michael

Post Thanks / Like

What about this fenwick?
    The Fenwick looks fine. It's hard to say for certain about any rod without actually holding it.

All the steelhead rods I'm seeing are 9ft plus and I've never went that long before.
    Cabela's Fish Eagle II has two 8'6" models: the GS862 and the GS864. I have an older version of the GS864, and I think it works great. Since I didn't know which one I'd prefer, I ordered both. The 862 was a little light (for me), so I just sent it back and kept the 864.

Post Thanks / Like

oh and also I like micro guides with the ceramic in them :D

Post Thanks / Like

Default rod

Many people in this thread (and elsewhere) often confuse power and action. Power is how much weight it takes to load the rod and uses terms like Light, Medium, Heavy etc. It is also represented by lure weights. Action is where the rod bends when it is loaded. What you are looking for is a rod that is faster in action than what you currently are using in similar power. Of course there are no standards and a light weight inshore saltwater rod would be consider an extra heavy powered crappie rod.

Name:  rod-action.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  13.6 KB

I like something between moderate (listed incorrectly in my graphic as medium) and moderate-fast for spinners for 15" trout. Any faster action than that and I loose fish when they shake their heads. I like the Fenwick Eagle GT for spinner applications, however I wish it came with better guides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast