Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Night Fishing Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Night Fishing Question

A few years back I was shore fishing with a buddy about this time of year, from a bluff on Stockton Lake here in MO, in the evening, and about to pack up, as the sun was setting, when an old man showed up with his grandkids and told us to hang around, it was about to get good. He set up the biggest lantern I have ever seen on the edge of the bluff, and about an hour later, he was right, we did great. We cast micro jigs and landed bunches of nice crappie, the biggest were several 14-inch white crappie. My question is, does anyone have an idea as to what kind of lantern that might have been? It was easily twice (maybe three times) as big as the standard Coleman lantern, and a heckuva lot brighter. I have looked on eBay a few times and done some Google searches and can't find anything close to it. I imagine it was an antique and probably a collector item.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

probably something used on the railroad or in mines. was is liquid fuel?
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it had mantles and hissed like a Coleman-- only lots bigger.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
    Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

yeah probably uses carosene(sp??) maybe try going to a flea market????

Post Thanks / Like

Sears used to sell a different kind of lantern. don't know if they still do butit was a littel bigger and I think it was all galvanized not painted metal.
    Scott

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your ideas; I don't know what type of fuel it used. It hadn't occurred to me to make another visit to that bluff. Maybe the ole feller will show up . . . it was about this time of year.
    Thoreau

Post Thanks / Like

coleman makes their dual fuel lantern in two sizes. the larger size, called the power house, is larger than the regular lantern. it also seems to me to throw off more light than the regular sized dual fuel., but the mantles are the same as what the regular lanterns use. I dont know of but two styles of mantles. the bulb type and the tube style like the northstar uses, both styles coming in just one size.
    listen with your eyes---its the only way to beleive what you hear...