Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bed liner on pond prowler okay

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bed liner on pond prowler okay

THE MANUFACTURER OF THE BASS PRO SHOP'S POND PROWLER TOLD ME THAT YOU CAN EFECTIVELY USE BED LINER TO RE NFORCE THE ABS . THE DOWN SIDE IS ADDED WEIGHT. HAS ANYONE TRIED IT?? COMMENTS PLEASE.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see how it could reinforce it, other than maybe blocking UV rays, but that's more protection than reinforcement. If you do, I wouldn't use black, it'd get awfully hot in the sun. Depending on the brand, you can get it in colors, I'd use a light color if I were going to do it. I don't see a lot of benefit in it, but that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

The lighter the color the cooler the surface will be in the heat of the day.
    The weight would be minimal unless you were already toting too much weight.
    The reinforcement factor would depend on the thickness of the application.
    The cost would be in the neighborhood of $100.00 if you could find an accessory
    vendor willing to take the risk of applying it to your satisfaction. I have a friend
    that is in that business and I ask him if he would do something like that and he
    said no, due to the fact he wouldn't take a chance of making a customer mad
    at him, spread the word and seek monitary compensation. Of course, he is only one
    in a hundred in the metroplex doing the bed liner thing. The other 99 might not
    care what the customer thought of their work. I'd have to think hard about it.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

The manufacturer says it's okay to do but to make sure they prep it good first and it will add weight how much weight no body will say??

Post Thanks / Like

if you get any colors focus on a light brown or green. it wont add that much weight to it, they are fairly light

Post Thanks / Like

which brand of liner does anyone have good luck with

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    The manufacturer says it's okay to do but to make sure they prep it good first and it will add weight how much weight no body will say??
    Depending on how much you want to apply (I'm guessing just the inside?), just weigh a quart of it. I wouldn't think it'd weigh more than a few pounds.

Post Thanks / Like

no I want to coat the bottom and sides of the pontoons not the upper half. just to give it a little more stiffness ?? I'm not sure of the weight of a quart. I've used Rust olum liner on my trailer and it's sucks.

Post Thanks / Like

If stiffness or rigidity is the issue, I would suggest you section the inside of the
    kayak if it's a sot, purchase a few cans of foam and spray into the void area you
    want to stiffen up. You will get boyancy (very light weight) stiffness, and not
    change the exterior of your kayak. Cheaper, cleaner, lightest amount of weight
    added and boyancy. I did this on one of my kayaks, let the foam expand and
    harden for 3 days and put it in my neighbors pool. You could fill the inside of
    the kayak and it would not sink. I'm about to do the same to my Wilderness
    System Ride and make it unsinkable too. Sot kayaks are sinkable if it gets
    filled with water. Foam solves that problem at minimal added weight, maybe
    one or two pounds added max. Depends on how large an area is filled with foam.
    Remember to allow for room for the foam to expand. If you give this option
    any consideration, let me know. I've experimented enough to know a trick
    or two I'll share.
    "Proud Member of Team Geezer"

Post Thanks / Like

RRR- It's a Pond Prowler, not a Kayak

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    no I want to coat the bottom and sides of the pontoons not the upper half. just to give it a little more stiffness ?? I'm not sure of the weight of a quart. I've used Rust olum liner on my trailer and it's sucks.
    I've used the Herculiner brand on a couple truck beds. Look at the local Home Improvement Centers (I think I got mine at Menards?). Been several years since I'd bought any, but it was around $75/gal then. I'd guess a gallon weighs around 10 pounds, but I bet there's a scale there you could weigh it on (in the paint department), you might ask them about tinting it too since it just comes in black (unless they've added colors since I've bought any).

I still think you'll be disapointed if you're expecting bed liner to add any rigidity to your boat. I would look into a low expanding foam like RRR mentioned, as long as it didn't absorb water.

Did a quick search, and it seems this may be better than Herculiner, and comes in colors:
    http://www.monstaliner.com/forms/monstaliner_colors.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast