Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping bulk Crickets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keeping bulk Crickets

Due to cost, hassle of going to the only local Bait Shop (when open), and the convenience of being able to head to the Lake on a whim, I'm considering getting 1,000 Crickets at a time, and keeping them handy for when I need them.

The question I have is, I'm not interesting in breeding, just holding them, but all the info I found (internet) centers around breeding. If I rig-up a plastic tote, handle the food/hydration end of things, can I just basically ignore any of the breeding related part of keeping them with no ill-effects? I'm guessing with loss and use, I could use 1,000 in about a month (give or take a week).

What says the hive? Anyone have any experience doing the same?

Post Thanks / Like

I have kept them for years in a plywood box for 30+ years. I feed them wild game bird mash and non chlorinated water. Use well water or pond water, or let city water set out in a bucket for a few days to allow the chlorine to escape then its safe. Scrape the cricket droppings off the bottom and sides every couple of days and they should last around 30 days. Use sliced orange for food and water while on your fishing trip they love the sugar water.

Post Thanks / Like

ply wood box, air conditoner and pleanty of water and moist bread

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cricket george View Post
    I have kept them for years in a plywood box for 30+ years. I feed them wild game bird mash and non chlorinated water. Use well water or pond water, or let city water set out in a bucket for a few days to allow the chlorine to escape then its safe. Scrape the cricket droppings off the bottom and sides every couple of days and they should last around 30 days. Use sliced orange for food and water while on your fishing trip they love the sugar water.
    Thanks George! I'd read some of your posts and was hoping you'd reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
    ply wood box, air conditoner and pleanty of water and moist bread
    Don't think you want to A/C your crickets. You may want to do some research on preferred temps.

Eagle 1 is offline Crappie.com Legend and Mississippi Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

fished with a guy last yr . that used frozen crickets ! caught as man as i did .

Post Thanks / Like

When it gets really hot during the peak of the summer heat I put a fan on the box to provide some air circulation and keep them cooler. If its too hot they will die.

Post Thanks / Like

For water, carrots, lettuce, romain, or other heavy water fruit/vegetable that isn't wet to the touch. Cucumbers are not a good choice but most others are fine. Egg layer mash, game bird mash and many other work well for food. I used oatmeal, cornmeal and egg layer mash for mine with the fruits and veggies.

You could order many more than 1,000 and keep them alive without much effort and save shipping costs or save money form buying in bulk.

As far as breeding, it is so easy there is no reason not. Place a 2 inch deep container full of sand in the box. Keep it moist, cover with some window screen and forget about it. The crickets will do the rest, just keep the sand slightly moist. You could raise 1000's of them without even trying. Place some corn cob bedding in the bottom and clean it out once every couple months.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone ever buy from Armstrong Crickets? Was going to order from WormMan but crickets are currently "Out of Stock". I'm open for suggestions (where to order from), but Armstrong had about the best pricing.

f_4_a- Space is the main reason. I could find room for one tub easy enough, but once I needed to separate them, I'd be pressed for space.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried to order from Fluker's CricketFarm last week and was told that there is a nation wide cricket virus that has hit most of the farms and wiped them out. Fluker's said they were not taking on any more customers for at least 3 weeks until they had adult crickets. I had heard something about the virus and then Fluker's turned me down so it must be true.

Post Thanks / Like

Space can be an issue, I raised mine for 2 years in a single 15 gallon storage container. I didn't go through hundreds a week, more like 2-3 hundred a month but never ran out. Stacking lots of cardboard, egg cartons and other stuff gave them tons of room and I had more than I ever thought I could get very quickly.

I haven't tried to order in a while but used wormman, once and probably not again for crickets, then went with Nyfarms for my second order with great results. This was many years ago though so service and care could be very different by now.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast