Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Post Spawn Blues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Post Spawn Blues

I can't seem to get on any nice size Crappie now that the spawn has ended. I've tried searching out fish on the Finder. When I locate a nice school of bait fish, or what seems to be Crappie on the Sonar, I get no bites. Last weekend I found fish suspended in 12-20ft of water. I tried minnows, jigs, trolling roadrunners. NOTHING. I ended up moving to shallow water to pick up on some residual spawning. As usual, the little dinks this time of year in the shallows can still be caught. Can I expect deep water fishing to pick up in the next few weeks. Are they exhausted from the spawn?
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Question possibly ......

Quote Originally Posted by Waylonh
    I can't seem to get on any nice size Crappie now that the spawn has ended. I've tried searching out fish on the Finder. When I locate a nice school of bait fish, or what seems to be Crappie on the Sonar, I get no bites. Last weekend I found fish suspended in 12-20ft of water. I tried minnows, jigs, trolling roadrunners. NOTHING. I ended up moving to shallow water to pick up on some residual spawning. As usual, the little dinks this time of year in the shallows can still be caught. Can I expect deep water fishing to pick up in the next few weeks. Are they exhausted from the spawn?
    exhausted/recuperating from the spawn
    confused by the weather
    still egg laden (and not in need of nourishment)
    not hungry (full of baitfish) when you found them
    they weren't Crappie you were seeing
    bait moving too slow, too fast, wrong color, wrong size

any one, or several, or all of the above

Keep after'em Waylon ..... you'll eventually get'em ..... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Trolling

Perfect set up for long line trolling of crankbaits, Bandits, Normans, etc. Post spawn ,hot weather is the absolute best time for this method. Can catch them pretty much year round trolling, but summer is perfect. possum
    possum1
    Jack Mullins
    Psalms 46:1

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by possum1
    Perfect set up for long line trolling of crankbaits, Bandits, Normans, etc. Post spawn ,hot weather is the absolute best time for this method. Can catch them pretty much year round trolling, but summer is perfect. possum

Trolling is fun, If I could just find a lake without stumps, and other various things to get hung up on.
    "Dats.........uhh......NO-ICE.........FUSH!"

-Al Linder

Post Thanks / Like

But think of all the fun you'd miss when the rod doubles! :D