Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Lowrance X102C or 107C

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Lowrance X102C or 107C

Anyone using either of these units? Write ups about dual frequencies really get confusing. Some say they are better for salt water applications because they give you a wider view. That doesn't make sense because it seems to me you would want a wider view in the shallower fresh waters.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill, the 50 khz will work "too good" in shallow water...Water tends to absorb higher frequencies, thus providing less return echo. 50 khz in some cases will clutter the screen with strong echo returns, even with the sensitivity set low...Remember, whales communicate at very low frequencies (less than 1 hertz) for miles underwater. Deep water sonar runs 2 to 6 KHz if I remember correctly. There is a trade off. I have a 102C, with only 200Khz as I will never be in water over 50 ft.

Hope this helps.
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cane Pole
    Bill, the 50 khz will work "too good" in shallow water...Water tends to absorb higher frequencies, thus providing less return echo. 50 khz in some cases will clutter the screen with strong echo returns, even with the sensitivity set low...Remember, whales communicate at very low frequencies (less than 1 hertz) for miles underwater. Deep water sonar runs 2 to 6 KHz if I remember correctly. There is a trade off. I have a 102C, with only 200Khz as I will never be in water over 50 ft.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks Tom. Thats sort of along the lines I was thinking. Although I didn't know that about the whales as I've never talked to one. Well there is my ex but thats another story. LOL
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IBNFSHN
    Thanks Tom. Thats sort of along the lines I was thinking. Although I didn't know that about the whales as I've never talked to one. Well there is my ex but thats another story. LOL
    Ha..

Bill, that is funny..
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"