Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Restoring Fiberglass

Post Thanks / Like

Question Restoring Fiberglass

I'm buying an 18' Hydrasport fish n' ski which runs just fine and is fishable as is. The problem I have is oxidation on the fiberglass, I have cleaned and waxed it, which gets it about 50% better and thats all I can do no matter how hard I scrub. Is there a certain technique or some type of product I can use to restore the original color and shine? Thanks in advance for all the help.

Post Thanks / Like

I have no clue, it might be stained. You could try a bleach agent mabey it will being some color back

Post Thanks / Like

If it were mine I'd give it a coat of slick bottom. There are many benefits. Its tough, you won't need to do it again.Its slick easy off the trailer, logs, sand bars etc.It stays clean nothing sticks to it. Its the only way to go in my opinion .
    Wetlander – The Ultimate Slick Bottom | The Best Airboat Slick Bottom Coating, combining Ultra-Slippery with Rugged Durability
    Fin

Post Thanks / Like

If you can't feel the metal flake when you rub your hand across it then you can wet sand and buff it out. If the metal flake is coming through it will have to be gel coated again to get it right. Wet sanding will take some time but you can make one look brand new. Depending on how bad the oxidation is you want to start with 1000 or 600 grit and a bucket full of water and a few drops of Dawn soap. Sand in a back and forth motion (no circles). Use progressively finer sand paper as you go along. Then buff out with "3M Finesse It" and a rotary buffer (not an orbital buffer). Lastly, put a good coat of wax on it. You can see some photos and get some step by step pointers at http://BBCboards.net (Bass Boat Central) in the restoration forum. Guys have brought some pretty bad gel coats back and looking like new with some elbow grease and time.

Post Thanks / Like

go up in the c.com mechanics section by scrapper,, he has a article on this subject that shows how and what to use.
    IT'S 5--O-CLOCK SOMEWHERE,,,MIKE-p

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help guys! I'll post pics if I have any luck.