Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Snakehead trip help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snakehead trip help

I've got to make a trip Saturday to pick my father up at Regan airport. Just so happens he doesn't get in till 1 so that gives me the morning to get into something and it hit me today.... only takes 1.5-2 hours to get there from here and if I'm thinking right there was some lake around DC that was supposed to be infested with snakeheads. I'm thinking it was the one where the infestation started but I could be off on that one. Anyway, I'll be driving from Hagerstown to DC and got a little time to kill but I don't want to end up too far out of the way. Just kinda looking for something different to try. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I know these guys have teeth so I was wondering if steel leaders were needed or if they were more like walleyes where it's not a big deal and if you have any tips (such as lures and spots) for your suggestions that would be great. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

The pond/lake that gets most of the attention on the DNR "Angler's Log" for snakeheads, is in Pomfret. I've never heard a 'name' for it, whereas it's a beaver pond that has been there since the late 70's. Used to be a decent pickerel pond many years back.

It is about 15 or 16 miles south of the Beltway.

People park along Bumpy Oak Road eventhough there are "No Parking" signs, but nobody gets ticketed, supposedly.

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard that you can park at the Regan airport cell phone lot and/or the landing/take off observation lot near the airport and fish for snakeheads there. I think it is the same location where the DC duck boat go in and out. But again I have not personnally fished for them there, I have been there however and seen the access spot. Good luck and please post back your report, good or bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Just north of the airport is Roaches Run. Tricky to get there just off George Washington PKWY north bound at Gravely Ramp to park . The two pipes that feed the ramp area can be really good on a moving tide.

Capt Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys..... I think I'm going to try the observation lot and see what happens. Gas is high and It's not anywhere out of the way at all. I'd love to go to Pomfret. Looks promising on the map for just about anything.... I love pond fishing but it's just a bit farther out of the way than I want to go. Will def save the location and might make a trip one day to see what happens. I'll let you know what I come up with good or bad. Planning on spending about 2 hours fishing before I have to pick him up. Again, thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I fished the bumpy oak pond this morning for about 30 minutes and got one bite. Missed it and lost half my honey toad. Not many fish in there. I spotted two maybe three at dawn. The no see-ums ate me up in the short time there.

Water was 68 degrees..

Capt Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Well I found it ok... wasn't hard at all. I got hold of one bass about 8 inches off a white x rap. Really hard to fish that area without a boat. I did my best tho. Bunch of carp up in the shallows and either some one released a goldfish or it was a koi. Didn't really see much but I'm sure if I'd have brought along the boat I'd have gotten more. Thanks for the location. Prob will make a trip some day to fish it more. I did a ton of walking to try to find pathways down and I ended up going into the woods quite a ways down by the lettuce closest to the airport in hopes of grabbing something but started to turn into swamp pretty quick and the thoughts of ticks and snakes I turned back. Would like to try with boat. Thanks for the info. It was nice to watch the planes and try a different spot and I atleast got a pic of me with the bass and the Washington mon. in the background which was pretty cool.

Post Thanks / Like

Well it sounds like you guys were serious about it.
    I do some shore fishin' but usually limit it Nov.-Mar. for those very reasons. I have spent 40+ years working outside in the woods, fields, swamps & etc. everyday and no longer enjoy stompin' around in it unless the cooler weather has tamed the undesirables, a tad.

Thanks for the reports.