Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Did you know? No FL F. license required if...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Did you know? No FL F. license required if...

...if you are fishing with live bait on a cane pole. I never knew that. Of course lots has changed since I left home.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep. I did know that one. Here is another one. A free fishing license but I'm not a senior citizen. From the FWC site:
    What does a senior license certificate cover and where do I get it? A resident permanent senior license for those 65 years old and older, authorizes the holder to take or attempt to take or possess freshwater fish and game consistent with state and federal regulations and the rules of the Commission at the time of taking. The holder of this license may engage in all activities authorized by a management area permit, a muzzle-loading gun permit, a turkey permit, an archery permit, and a Florida waterfowl permit. Although these certificates are available, all a senior needs is proof of age and residency to fish for free. Many seniors, however, choose to buy a resident license in order to contribute to conservation. This is one of the simplest ways to help ensure the future of fishing in Florida and is encouraged by the agency. (See Heritage ad.)
    Here are the exemptions:
    FRESHWATER EXEMPTIONS: (Up to Index)

Although the following exemptions apply, individuals may always choose to purchase a license as a way to contribute to fish and wildlife conservation. Purchasing a license also helps the FWC receive more of the excise taxes spent on fishing tackle and motor boat fuels under Federal Aid in Sport Fish Restoration.

Any child under 16 years of age.

Any person hunting or fishing in the person's county of residence on the person's homestead or the homestead of the person's spouse or minor child, or any minor child hunting or fishing on the homestead of her or his parent.

Any resident who is a member of the Armed Forces of the United States, who is not stationed in this state, when home on leave for 30 days or less, upon submission of orders.

Any resident when fishing with live or natural bait, using poles or lines which are not equipped with a fishing line retrieval mechanism, and fishing for noncommercial purposes in the county of her or his residence. A valid Fishing License is required to fish by any method in a Fish Management Area.

Any person fishing in a fish pond of 20 acres or less which is located entirely within the private property of the fish pond owner. A fish pond is a man-made pond constructed for the primary purpose of fishing, entirely within the property lines of the owner and with no surface water connection to public waters.

Any person fishing in a fish pond of 20 acres or more, where the pond owner has purchased a fish pond license at a fee of $3 per surface acre.

Any person fishing who has been accepted as a client for developmental services by the Department of Children and Family Services, which department shall furnish such person proof thereof.

Any resident 65 years of age or older, who has in her or his possession proof of age and residency. A free license may be obtained from any tax collector's office upon proof of age and residency. A Florida Senior Citizen Hunting and Fishing Certificate is accepted in Georgia, but a trout stamp may be required. (Note: a senior may purchase a regular license to help contribute to conservation both directly and by enabling us to count them as a paid license holder when Federal Aid in Sportfish Restoration appropriates money to the states.)

Georgia residents 65 years of age or older who have in their possession a Georgia Honorary Combination Hunting and Fishing License and proof of age.

Florida residents certified as totally and permanently disabled, who possess a Florida Resident Disabled Person Hunting and Fishing Certificate (see application, requires PDF). See also ADA

Resident Freshwater Commercial Fishing License (Series RC) holders.

Anyone fishing in the St. Mary's River or Lake Seminole (but not including tributary creeks in Florida, see MAP), who has a valid Georgia fishing license.

Anyone fishing in public waters during the first weekend of April, which is designated as free-fishing weekend to encourage new anglers to try the sport, and for families to share some quality time together relaxing in the outdoors.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 05-23-2006 at 07:43 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, That's where I saw it...These are good to know. I've been fishing under the Armed Forces exemption for years. I was surprised as some of the others. Good to know FL is not stingy about "their" fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Unless the rules have changed, the cane pole/bait only freebie, applies only in the county you reside in.

Post Thanks / Like

Default FL Free Fishing

Applies only to county of residence and bank fishing only. Fish from a boat and you need a license regardless.