Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Too much light?

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Too much light?

I made a couple of green underwater lights out of 48" florecent bulbs. They are encased in 5 foot clear PVC tubing. The amp draw is low and they last a long time on my battery, but I don't have much luck fishing with them. My boat is 16.5 feet long and when I plug these bad boys in it lights up the universe lol. Can you have too much light under you?

Post Thanks / Like

Can you post pictures of your light? And how you keep the wires hooked up. hard to see how you get it to work.
    Don't know if you can get 2 much light or not. but dough it.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have pics of lights, but basically I encased everything (bulb,starter and connections) in PVC with about twenty feet of cord to plug into converter on the boat. I'll admit they are a little big and bulky in the boat but at the time the only ones I could locate to buy were expensive and didn't want to shell out the bucks they were asking. Now I see them real cheap at Bass Pro.

The starters, clear PVC and electric cord were around $40.00 apiece and the bulbs were donated.
    Last edited by ArkTexTom; 05-23-2006 at 02:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks now knowing the starter is in there also. I can see how its done.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

I built the exact same light about three years ago. I have never fished for crappie with this light, but it works great to dip shrimp. I typically shrimp in 14-16 feet of water. I want it standing vertical with the bottom of the light about two off of the bottom. I use a 10 lb weight to hold. I have a 50 ft cord on mine. Maybe this work for you, I have no idea.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if yu can have to much light but we seem to catch the best fish at the edges of the light so maybe yo need to fish farther out to be effective.

Rod