Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Put together a beginner Bream fisher Package

Post Thanks / Like

Default Put together a beginner Bream fisher Package

Dear Fisherman,

I am a newbie, as stated before. If you had to pick say 2 rod and reel combos for a beginner bream fisherman, plus lures/bait, and type of line to use, what would it be? ( I am going to post the same thing on the crappie board too, same question)

I will really appreciate you guys insight.

Justin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cant beat a 33 Classic

I always use the old Zebco 33 classics for bream/shellcracker fishing. I mostly fish on the bottom with red wigglers or night crawlers. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd recommend a 5wt fly rod and a light spinning outfit. For the fly outfit, get a selection of small poppers, dry flies and nymphs and you'll be set. I'm sure Robert will chime in here about the fun and effectiveness of the fly rod!

For spinning, I use live maggots about 99% of the time, but small jigs (like the Beetle Spin) are good artificial baits.

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a small shimano spinning reel, some floats (1 inch cork will do), some small cricket hooks and a pack of small split shot sinkers. Go by the tackle shop and pick up a cricket bucket and get them to fill it with crickets, go and get 'em. Why complicate something so simple, I just like to keep things simple. good luck

Post Thanks / Like

Opps second post is the real one this one got screwed up
    Last edited by Bluegillfreak; 05-23-2006 at 01:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Im a greedy lil kid i use my bass rods for crappie/bass and bluegill basicly one rod suites all to me i got one that was decent for all and soon to get one strickly for bass all $150+ of it and retire my old one to crappie and i have got a ultralite abu garcia rod and reel for bluegill my favorite bait is A) NightCrawlers B) Crikets C) Bread D)bolny or how ever you spell it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deathb4disco
    I'm sure Robert will chime in here about the fun and effectiveness of the fly rod!
    Nope :D. You already said it . You suggested what I would have suggested anyway, Kevin . Both for fly and spinning (about 6lb. test monofiliment is what I use) right down to the flies and lures. I might add spongy spiders for the fly rod along with the other flies. Small jigs and beetle spins for the spinning rod. For live bait though I would stick with worms first and crickets second either free lining with a split shot or maybe four feet below a float.
    Last edited by dixieangler; 05-23-2006 at 03:09 PM.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Post Thanks / Like

death4disco is right you cant beat a fly for any kind of fishing i have a 3 or 4 weight for bream cant remember. 90% of the time you will out fish,size and qauntitywith a fly rod granted you have a selection of flies, than a live bait or artificial set up. any sporting goods place will have a combo for the beginner my first was 20 at walmart best to start with something like that and learn the basics before you spend $100-$250 for a good 3 or 4 weight as far as rod and reels shakespheare makes some good ultralights for$20 i have several different ones from different manufactures. look at bps ultralight poles they have some that go up tyo 8 ft in length only place i have found em that long my next purchase will be a 7 footer i think for $40. if it is for younger anglers just starting out it would be hard to beat a zebco 33 they are simple to use and maintain and use. dont now about now but they used to would take alot of severe abuse and they are also durable enough to land a pretty big bass or catfish without any ill effects. all i use for fishing except the rare occassion i catfish is ultralights and i have one light for when the one time a year i trow out for a green carp. just get what fits you or whoever will be using. cause if you dont like it you wont use it

Post Thanks / Like

I love this Browning Superlight Combo from BPS. They just had a 29.99 run on it now it looks like its back to full price of 49.99 but im sure they will have the deal again.
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...rTarget=browse

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

ultra light ugly stick rod with a light shimano spinning reel, rapala finesse 8# line, and for bait i use a whip'r stopper jig tipped with a worm bit. my best luck with crappie and panfish have been with this rig. the downfall about it is losing ur lure when a 2 and a half foot pike grabs it and wraps around a structure unless you personally like low drag on the reel. there's a story behind that email me if you have any inquiries!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast