Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: questions about rod tips, grooves and line choices

Post Thanks / Like

Default questions about rod tips, grooves and line choices

I have been having my line break at various places when hooking/landing crappie. When I looked at the poles under a strong light the ones with metal ferrels on the end all had grooves in the ferrel, the ones with ceramic material did not. I always used monofilament. Usually change out annually.

Questions:

Could these "grooves" be part of the problem?

The poles with less line breaks seem to be the ceramic ones...can the metal ferrels be replaced with ceramic?

If I switch to braid is this more apt to cause grooves in the end ferrel, metal or ceramic?

Will braid work on any reel and pole?

Post Thanks / Like

That is absolutely your problem.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think switching to braid would be a problem. I think you have a couple choices.
    A. Figure out some way to coat the guides to fill in the grooves.
    B. switch to braid.
    C. Buy new rods

"Keep talkin smack and I'll make ya famous !!!"
    B&L Marine Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Where is your line breaking ? Near the hook or ? Sometimes my hi vis string will get weak , from where my jig is tied all the way to the reel . I don't know if it's from being exposed to sunlight or what . But once it gets to the reel it's back strong ? Its just the length of the pole though . I can easily break it with my hands , the rotten part , but I'll just pull out string until the weak stuff is gone . It may not be your problem but you could check that .

Post Thanks / Like

a q tip run through the guide will show if it is worn out. Worn it will grab some cotton.
    Crappie bite twice a day. 15 minutes before I get there and 10 minutes after I leave.
    The two loudest sounds are a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and one that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.
    If you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can generally count on Paul's vote.

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is you got your problem when you bought your rod. Sounds like you bought price over quality and it's costing you now. Much better to have 1 or 2 good rods than several that are going to give you grief all the time. It will cost you to get someone who knows what they are doing to replace your guides for you. Cut your losses and go find you and good one and enjoy fishing again.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all for the comments.

Yes the rods are old but have started buying better ones....just bought a BP graphite...so more as $s become available.

Now that "election gas" prices are posted I will have a little more money.

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use mono line but have a few with fire line and notice on a hard hook set line was breaking at reel , after close inspection that line had cut grove in reel ferrel that is suppose to roll as line comes in,never seen or heards this before.It took a few breaks to realize this,so check reel also because under presure even braid will cut where a nick is. It cost me a few good fish
    God Demonstrated his love for us. Romans 5:8